FORUMS: list search recent posts

DF vs NDF

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
DF vs NDF
on Dec 18, 2017 at 10:50:33 pm

I work to a TV station.
We used to deliver NDF and now we're asked to switch to NDF.

My post supervisor mentioned he thinks this switch will mess up our workflow but he doesn't remember how specifically. He asked me to look into it, hence this post.

One issue he mentioned, was the tape lay offs... which confuses me because if we go to DF then it should make everything simple since 1h00 of RT will be an exac 60 min,

We're working with PPro
The shows we received are NDF.

Editing NDF shows in a DF timeline shouldn't be an issue right?

Any ideas/thoughts?

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: DF vs NDF
on Dec 19, 2017 at 10:22:19 pm

How long are your finished sequences? 30 second spots? It really won't matter one way or the other. Longer sequences or programs for broadcast-yes it still matters.
Video doesn't run at a true 30fps but rather at 29.97/59.94 for broadcast. It's a technical throwback to the days when TV was converting to color broadcasting and it's still here.
Editing DF is pretty straight forward and transparent for the most part. It's had time to work most the bugs out of the process. Do not fear drop frame! There can be a few problem areas. Audio layback to tape or files used to be an issue when the timecode modes were mismatched. Mismatched audio sample rates/frame rates still cause a lot of issues.
Editing NDF into a DF sequence shouldn't be a problem. It's the same number of frames-no actual frames are dropped. Only the timecode changes.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 22, 2018 at 2:34:18 pm

You'll always deliver in DF for broadcast. It's a math thing. It's why your 30 second spots are actually 29:20

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 22, 2018 at 4:09:15 pm

[grinner hester] "It's a math thing. It's why your 30 second spots are actually 29:20"

Yo Grinner,
Math is my middle name.
Difference is 0.1 %
So, a '30 sec' spot (In TC notation, if it does not roll over a 2 min. mark) is 29.97 seconds.
Still, food for lawyers if people find out, and will be big fun if there is a retroactively demand for a refund for on air add time.
(Believe it or not, over here was a claim to cellphone providers who sold subscriptions with a 'free' phone. People found out the cost of the phone was in the subscription, and they won...)

btw, your last name is my ex wife's first name. Where does it come from?

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]