FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast Legal Luminance: Black bars at zero% IRE

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
Broadcast Legal Luminance: Black bars at zero% IRE
on Oct 16, 2017 at 9:11:09 pm

I created a video for broadcast to 4:3 NTSC TV but my original video was shot in 16:9 so I squeezed the video in to fill 4:3 (letter boxing). Everything in the video is within 7.5 to 100% IRE broadcast standard. However, my black bars on top and bottom (letterbox) of the video is at zero% IRE. Do the black bars also need to be at 7.5% IRE for my video to be considered broadcast legal? Thanks! God bless!

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Broadcast Legal Luminance: Black bars at zero% IRE
on Oct 20, 2017 at 5:31:36 pm

For broadcasting, yes they should be. Is this airing as true NTSC (analog) video or on a digital transmission? It it's just running on a monitor or on cable, you can probably get away with the 0% levels. If it's for broadcast on a digital TV station, that may be another story. Where will your videos be used?

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Oct 23, 2017 at 6:46:01 am

Thank you very much, Tom. Yes, it's for analog NTSC.

I'm using Premiere CC 2015's waveform monitor. This morning, someone told me that CC 2015's waveform monitor is "digital." He said if it shows 0% IRE, "analog" stations will read that as 7.5% IRE. So if it shows 0% IRE in Premiere 2015's waveform, that is perfectly ok for analog NTSC broadcast. Is that correct?

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Oct 31, 2017 at 11:35:04 pm

It will probably be OK. I don't use Premiere but many applications are smart enough to add the 7.5% setup to an analog output. The control panel on some output cards (adapters/converters) will ask if you want to add setup on the output.n It just depends on how you are getting your finished video out-file based or direct output.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]