FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Training, Courses, Textbooks for new Technical Directors

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Nass
Best Training, Courses, Textbooks for new Technical Directors
on Aug 16, 2017 at 5:24:03 am

Hi there,

I have a new opportunity to work as a TD on a live sports production truck after some training. The vision mixer in use is a Grass Valley Kalypso. I spent an awful lot of time searching the internet for a training course specifically designed for beginner TDs and found none. The existing material online was dedicated to experienced TDs using mostly tech jargon and assumed the viewer to be somewhat already knowledgeable in the field.

Is there any material out there to help teach new people to the field of live production like me, the basics of a vision mixer? If there's a training course on Kalypso even better but i won't limit myself.

I appreciate all your help!

Zach

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Best Training, Courses, Textbooks for new Technical Directors
on Aug 17, 2017 at 2:27:43 pm

Kalypso Switcher Technical Directing
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0F81AB0FC2D58FA1

It' s important that you do learn and understand that "technical jargon" you refer to. A good TD/Vision Mixer needs to properly communicate any technical issues (problems with cameras, video, comms, playbacks/records, etc.) to the director and to the EIC, and often will need to be doing real time problem solving while still switching a show.

Return to posts index

Zach Nass
on Aug 17, 2017 at 8:04:33 pm

Thanks Chuck for the link but I already watched that playlist. This series is more dedicated to experienced TDs switching to Kalypso rather than beginners. More like tips than a 101 on vision mixers. If i may put it in different words, what would you send a totally beginner TD just starting out?

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Aug 23, 2017 at 2:18:57 pm

I did find this one, which may be helpful.

An operator manual for almost any switcher, if you can borrow or download one, can be useful. Best would be to find someone doing the job and see if you can "shadow" him/her for a time. A manual or text will tell you what a particular unit does, and explain its basic operations, but can't teach you how to deal with situational issues and real-time problem spotting and solving. You'll also find that directors have their own jargon and styles. It's necessary to learn how a each director you work with will call a show. Is a lower third a "super" or a "key" is a graphic a "chyron" or an "aston." Is he/she a "finger snapper"? Calm and deliberate or a frenetic "yeller?" Your crew will also look to you for necessary check out of things like tallys and intercom, and to communicate their tech issues to your engineer.
The job does go way beyond just knowing what buttons to push. Some "101" is great for starters, but skills are developed by being in the "hot seat."

Return to posts index

Zach Nass
on Aug 24, 2017 at 5:42:41 am

Thanks Chuck,

You are absolutely right about the situational issues that no training can provide. I'm a video editor and it's the same here too. There's much more to video editing than pressing a few buttons in FCP.

But you gotta start somewhere, and this is where i am. I'm sure experience and time will teach me everything else i need to know.

In fact i do have a shadowing opportunity with a local TD here in Houston, that's why i am looking for all the material i can read now so i understand what he's doing otherwise it's all button pressing.

I did in fact watch that video before. It's weird but it seems there's a big shortage of Kalypso specific training online i dunno why. I was hoping to find a 101 textbook on vision mixing but all i could find on Amazon were some general TV Studio operation books with just a chapter or 2 on switchers.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Aug 25, 2017 at 10:16:33 pm

You'll do OK with that attitude and enthusiasm. Good Luck!

C.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]