FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Editing Software for Broadcast Television

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lisa robinson
Best Editing Software for Broadcast Television
on Jun 13, 2017 at 9:10:18 pm

I work for a PBS station and am currently on FCP7 (Yes, I know completely outdated). I am a timeline based editor who has worked with Avid and find it to be complicated. On the other hand, Avid integrates with caption files seamlessly and seems to have a great workflow as far as sending final projects to our server. Recently our station has come into money and we will be upgrading all of our software and equipment.

I find FCPX and Premiere easier to use, but which editing software do you think is best for broadcast? Are there work-arounds for caption files using FCPX?

Thanks,
Lisa

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Best Editing Software for Broadcast Television
on Jul 2, 2017 at 11:33:42 pm

[lisa robinson] "I find FCPX and Premiere easier to use, but which editing software do you think is best for broadcast? Are there work-arounds for caption files using FCPX?"

If you use closed captioning files a lot Premiere Pro might be your best bet. Do you use third party hardware from AJA, BMD or Matrox? You could look at DaVinci Resolve as well.

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Aug 1, 2017 at 7:10:43 pm

I, too, work at a PBS station. The editors pretty much use Avid; however, their version does not support 708 cc. It'd be nice to come in to money... ☺ All that being said, we export their projects and use Adobe Pr Pro to embed 608/708 captions and export mxf op1a. Adobe's Media encoder far exceeds their version of Avid for web exports both in time and quality as well. Not to mention, with Adobe, you pretty much get the suite vs just the editor.

Hope this helps....

--
Tim Vaughan
Production Editor and Motion Graphics, PBS Charlotte
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

lisa robinson
on Aug 1, 2017 at 8:40:40 pm

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the feedback.

Tim, Tell Amy Burkett I said "Hi".... HAHAHA I worked with her here in PA. Hows Tyler doing?

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Aug 2, 2017 at 12:48:36 pm

In that case, Tyler says stay away from Avid. Use Adobe. 😉

--
Tim Vaughan
Production Editor and Motion Graphics, PBS Charlotte
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

lisa robinson