FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live capture at low bitrates

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Hendry
Live capture at low bitrates
on Nov 4, 2016 at 2:17:41 pm

I freelance for a company that needs their videos at 640 by 480, h.264 at very low bit rates. My live cuts can be delivered by either HDMI or SDI from a black magic ATEM panel. Does anyone know of a bit of hardware that will downsample on the fly and save to USB to save me converting afterwards for every event?

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

James Hauge
Re: Live capture at low bitrates
on Nov 5, 2016 at 9:34:34 am

Hey Simon!

Nice to meet you!

What I'd suggest doing is getting a decent computer (doesn't have to be too great, but decent) and put a video capture card into it (I like BlackMagic Designs but my favorite is AJA but it's much more expensive) and use a capture software to capture it and you should just have to set the capture settings you want and then you're done...

Once you finish the event, you hit stop on this other computer and your video's done. you might want to trim the beginning and end, but that'd be it...

Check a software called OBS (Open Broadcaster) it specializes in streaming video, but it does do capture too, not sure on it's settings though, if it'll give you the settings you want. Can also check into flash video encoder and microsoft's free media encoder too (don't remember the names of em, but you should be able to google em)...

That's what I'd do anyway... using a computer like this, also gives you another computer you can use for other things in other situations... or you can even use another computer you have and use for other things but don't use during this event and there ya go, just need to purchase a capture card then ?

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Simon Hendry
on Nov 5, 2016 at 11:31:12 am

Thanks for the reply James! Im using a black magic h.264 box at the moment into a MacBook pro but would you believe it, it doesn't actually encode at a low enough bitrate or size so I still have to transcode. Trying to skip out this second part. Ill look into the AJA stuff!

Simon

Return to posts index

James Hauge
on Nov 5, 2016 at 8:08:20 pm

Did you check into other softwares? OBS or flash encoder or microsoft's encoder?

All three of those are free software...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]