FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting a film like a live broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Fraser
Shooting a film like a live broadcast
on Oct 11, 2016 at 11:40:15 am

Hi, I'm working on a 'found footage' film comparable in approach to Paranormal Activity and looking for the best and most economical solution to film the actors in a house from multiple cameras with maximum control without employing camera operators for each camera. Some cameras can be static views but we would like a number of them to pan and zoom and I'm wondering if we can do it remotely though a vision mixer and thus employ one operator and a couple of camera operators for key shots. This seems pretty comparable to broadcast and reality TV so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on tech and workflow? Thanks.

Return to posts index

James Hauge
Re: Shooting a film like a live broadcast
on Oct 12, 2016 at 8:50:04 am

It really depends on your budget... I've seen many people try to go too cheap in a situation where they want remote ptz (pan tilt zoom) cameras and it turns out bad, other times i've seen it turn out well...

I would recommend looking for camera's that have a separate control device for the ptz instead of trying to link it with the switcher... this will give you more control and it'll be easier for you to set the next shot's ptz without having to do alot of stuff on the video switcher.. it can also help prevent accidentally switching to a camera that isn't pointed how you want the shot yet...

I would also suggest doing a separate tape record of each camera so that you can do post production editing if needed and you have a full tape of each camera without having to rely on just the 'live' mix...

just my thoughts...

Return to posts index

Peter Fraser
on Oct 12, 2016 at 3:42:26 pm

Thanks James, that's really helpful. Are there any ptz cameras/systems you would particularly recommend that are reasonably high end and reliable? Budget wise, it's a low budget feature in the region of 500k.

Return to posts index

James Hauge
on Oct 12, 2016 at 5:04:37 pm

I know of a place that is using Black Magic camera (very nice camera's) with ptz mounts... I'm really not sure on the details because Black Magic Design doesn't have any ptz camera heads... Also, if you're doing a "ghost hunter"/Paranormal thing, I don't know if any of their camera's have a 'night vision' option...

If you're looking at a low light but not night vision setup, then Black Magic is a great setup... you'd just need to figure out the details of the ptz camera head that'll be compatible...

Other than that, I'm not sure on the specific system you can use because I'm not had to use a fully remote ptz setup like this before...

If you have a very hard time putting a system together, I know a church that's about an hour away from me that uses the Black Magic Designs camera with remote control ptz that I can get in contact with to see how they did it and what ptz setup they put together...

Thanks
--James

Return to posts index

James Hauge
on Oct 13, 2016 at 6:47:46 am

Here's some ptz camera's that you might want to check out... I don't know if you need audio with it or not but it's easy enough to put a mic in place with a xlr cable running back to your main setup area...

Some of those camera's are IP camera's, so make sure you know what you're looking at before you buy...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/ptz-cameras/ci/25266/N/3769429766

Hope this helps..

Return to posts index

Peter Fraser
on Oct 17, 2016 at 4:02:46 pm

Brilliant. Thanks James.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]