FORUMS: list search recent posts

Livestream with Canon XA30

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandy Leonardo
Livestream with Canon XA30
on Oct 3, 2016 at 9:41:32 pm

I have the Canon XA30 and brand new to livestreaming and this camera. Can anyone tell me what other equipment I need and what's the best and most cost effective way to go about livestreaming?

Return to posts index

James Hauge
Re: Livestream with Canon XA30
on Oct 6, 2016 at 8:53:23 am

It looks like you've not gotten an answer to this yet, or, if you have, please post the answer so as to help those in the future...

My 2 cents here:

Live streaming, in my opinion, is best done from a computer, so, using that camera (I'm not familiar with it and don't have the energy right now to look it up), you'd take a video output and go to a video input on a computer and from the computer run a video streaming software... The specific software you use would depend on where you're streaming it too...

(ok, I decided to do a 5 second look at what that camera was and it's a nice low end pro or high end prosumer.. it's very nice and one i'd by myself if I needed a very good camera).

It has a mini hdmi connector, so you can use that along with a very inexpensive hdmi input on a computer and then use that computer to do the live streaming...

The camera has built in the ability to stream video via wifi to a computer or tv, but you would still need to have a computer to then do a good online stream because the computer will transcode the video signal to multiple bit rates and you'd need to do a bit of 'hack' work to get a standard streaming software to do that, so my opinion is that it's best to directly connect through hdmi... Also, the info I said, says that it can play recordings via wifi, but it didn't specify that it could do good quality live too, so that just reinforces to me to use hdmi in your case...

As for what software to use, that really depends on where you're streaming too... If you're streaming to youtube live for example, you use their software, and you would then need to look at their software docs for the minimum system requirements and you can then check recommended and decide from there...

fyi, I run the technical side of a tv network that does 24/7 live streaming online, so you have some info on where my opinions come from...

I'd be happy to discus this further with you if you'd like, but i'll be rather slow in responding because I'm extremely busy at the moment...

--James

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Oct 6, 2016 at 3:42:52 pm

Hi James,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response! I just found out that we will be streaming to YouTube and that we already have software to do this....just waiting to hear which one it is. But you also said if we are streaming to YouTube to use their software...is that the case or can I use other software? Bare with me, this is my very first time doing livestreaming.

I planned on using the HDMI cable, I just wasn't sure if there was something else I needed to link the camera with the computer. And I believe that is what you are referring to when you say "hdmi computer input"? If so, can you recommend any options for me to purchase?

Thanks so so much for your help!

Return to posts index

James Hauge
on Oct 6, 2016 at 10:06:35 pm

For the video input, I'd use a black magic hdmi input, they have a cheap one that they call the mini monitor for external, or a pci one for internal...

for the software, with streaming to youtube there's a few different software's to use... Find out which software and then you can look at the specific's of the system...

you need to check with the software to make sure that they'll use the black magic mini monitor, your other good choice is aja, but i don't have the details on that one off hand... either are good choices, so check your software...

Good luck, and if you look a few posts below this, I have made a device for monitoring online video streams depending on the time length of your stream it might be a good idea and it's cheaper then the normal types which are many thousands of dollars... I'd help get it all set up for you and everything... and it'll be ready soon (still being put together, i'm just waiting for one last part that was mailed to me today...

Thanks
--James

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on Oct 7, 2016 at 3:58:56 pm

Thanks, James. I will find out what the software is and look at your post about your product.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]