FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Job

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Gillick
First Job
on Jul 7, 2016 at 8:00:05 pm

I got my first Production Assistant job at a small agency in Los Angeles but it's for July only. But hey it's better than nothing. In the email she says:

Hi David,
Thanks for getting back to us! Could you provide your rate please? We’re looking at hopefully starting next week, but we’re still waiting on a few things from client, but would you take a hold 7/8 - 7/29? Please let me know how that sounds and talk to you soon,
Thanks!

What does "take a hold" mean and how do I answer this "rate" question without embarrassing myself and the company I'll be working for. I never worked before but I have On-Air Creative Promotions skills and I want to be fair. What do you recommend as I should say in this tricky email?

Return to posts index

Zahid Choudhury
Re: First Job
on Jul 7, 2016 at 9:18:35 pm

Hi,
First of all Congratulations.

In UK by rate we mean how much u charge per project or per hour or per day. I am not quite sure about the US industry.

I am pretty sure they wanted to mean if you want to keep yourself free for them. Between that date they will get the rest of the materials which you will need to carry on with the work. Though they are saying will start next week but i might take you to start late-est 29th .

Thank you

Return to posts index

David Gillick
on Jul 8, 2016 at 5:41:43 am
Last Edited By David Gillick on Jul 8, 2016 at 5:43:17 am

Hey Zahid,

She written me back and said this:

Hi David,
Here’s our spiel on hours at our company:
Our office opens at 9am. You are welcome to come in between 9:15 - 10:00 but our official work schedule is 9:30am to 7:30PM, with an hour lunch. We like to get out of the office at a reasonable time (normally around 7:00) but of course if work needs to be completed artists are expected to stay longer. This rarely happens, but on occasion it does. If your day rate is based on a 10 hour day please be mindful of your time.

As for rate, I can’t speak to that at the moment - budget varies project to project and I’m not in a place to say that at the moment. It can definitely be a discussion once we’re ready to book though. Unfortunately, we’re still not ready to book as we’re waiting on several things from client, but I’ll let you know if I get any update.
Thanks!

I'm confused on the language as if I got the job or not. I thought I got the job but now I don't know...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 8, 2016 at 2:29:30 pm

She's telling you that you may have a job, if they decide you're cheap enough, and while their making up their minds, if it's not too much trouble, don't gook any work for those days, while they keep looking for someone cheaper. Which is incredibly cheeky of them, but that's what you get in a market where there's a glut of available workers. As is the part about working occasional overtime for free.

Part of this is standard mind games, intended to intimidate and panic you into volunteering a lower rate than you need to charge.

Be smart about setting and keeping to your rate: it is very hard to start too low, then try to negotiate your way up. There are a plethora of tips about how to do that in the archives of the Marketing /Business forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]