FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to coax correctly?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Hawkins
How to coax correctly?
on Apr 10, 2016 at 2:08:50 pm

I work for a high school, and we are starting an event broadcast class this next year for the stadium we are building. Ive taught a video class for the past decade, but that was using DSLRs and the Adobe suite. I did my research on the best equipment for the class for our meager budget, but now my administration is coming to me with questions about what we need to run in the stadium. I've already had them run cat 6 and xlr to every possible location for our cameras, that part was easy but when it comes to the coax for the SDI I'm stumped.

Here's the equipment we will be working with (or at least what I think is necessary to make the decision)
- bmd atem production studio 4K switcher
- bmd smart videohub
- jvc gy-hm200

What I know, we will be running 2 sets of coax, and I need them to handle a 3G signal each. Sounded simple to me until I went to B&H and saw canare digital video coax, and compared it to the other analog coax and now I'm at a loss. Any help would be spectacular!

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: How to coax correctly?
on Apr 11, 2016 at 5:51:41 pm

How far away from your switcher will the cameras be? You can run an HD-SDI signal through a high quality co-ax cable up to 150-200 feet without too much difficulty but more than that and you will likely have problems. It will depend on and vary with the exact equipment used.
Also, looking at the feature sheet on the JVC cameras, I noticed that there was a Network adapter box available to work with the cameras. It looks as if you could run your video over a network cable and recover the HD video from the adapter boxes.
You will also need some sort of an intercom to communicate with the camera people.
I'm not sure what you would need the Video Hub for unless you have a lot more sources of HD video. Its a routing switcher. What were you thinking of using it for?
The ATM switcher will support graphic overlays as well. Have you considered how you will build them?

Lots of moving parts for even a small project like this but it is easier to do than ever before.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]