FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building a small cost effective post house for a low budget television series

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brandon wasserburger
Building a small cost effective post house for a low budget television series
on Jan 23, 2016 at 5:14:52 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've worked in reality television as a producer and editor for nearly ten years. Recently I put together a sizzle and pilot to pitch to a low budget outdoor network that buys originals. Thankfully, they loved it and are going to buy. Most of my years freelancing as an editor, I've contracted for larger houses that produce multiple shows - so they do their sound and their color internally. Since this is the first time I will have a television series running completely out of my shop, I'm left with two questions:

1) Since this is our first completely in-house series, but we've only got one series and a small handful of corporate and advertising jobs we do throughout the year, should we invest in a ton of equipment with hopes that we'll sell a second season? Or should we do everything we normally do in-house, but farm out the color and audio to ensure we're releasing network quality shows? I'm leaning toward farming out the less familiar aspects to color and audio shops that can ensure we get it right the first time, and hence increase our odds of selling a season 2 and then making upgrades from there. But I would like to know your thoughts.

2) I'm looking to build two edit bays from the ground up to ensure we move this series along. I'd like them to be mac based, simple and cost-effective. Can anyone lend me advice on what you'd do if you were in my shoes:

You've got one new original series going out, and it's a low budget network - so we're just getting our feet wet. And you've only got one show going out of your shop, along with some other odds and ends jobs. What equipment would you purchase to build two edit bays? What are the essential components to run a mac-based premiere pro edit suite?

Thanks for any help or advice you can throw my way,

-Brandon

Brandon Wasserburger
Creative Director
Fire Tribe, inc.
See our work at firetribe.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]