FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for suggestions / recommendations on studio equipment

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Rodriguez
Looking for suggestions / recommendations on studio equipment
on Dec 11, 2015 at 10:46:54 pm

Hello,

I am a HS Video Production teacher and have been asked to create a proposal for equipment for a broadcast studio buildout. I am looking for equipment that will allow us to do a multi camera live TV news show. Although I have been in the industry over 10 years (mostly on the post side of operations) I am in my first year teaching and we currently are producing weekly news shows by pre-recording studio / field segments and then editing / delivering a streaming link via our Livestream.com account.

I think the budget will allow me upwards of $50-$75k (all inclusive), so I'm wondering if anyone that has experience in this field has suggestions on what I should be looking at as far as switchers, cameras, lighting, etc is concerned?? I don't want to leave anything out on this first draft, and I've been asked to keep it to general ballpark figures for now...anyone with information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and feel free to ask questions if needed!!

Thanks!

Brian

Return to posts index

Paul Buchan
Re: Looking for suggestions / recommendations on studio equipment
on Jan 8, 2016 at 3:44:16 pm

That's a pretty loaded question.
I'd definitely look at Blackmagic Design for the production equipment. It offers a price point that you can't really beat and while it is on the low end, it will still provide good tools for the students to learn on that translate to the rest of the industry. I wouldn't look at their cameras, I've never been a big fan of them. There are a ton of options when it does come to the cameras I'd stick with the names you know, like Sony and Canon and aim for ones with professional outputs (SDI).
Lighting is a whole other beast. There are tons of options out there. Depending on your space there are lots of options. Take a look at Kino Flo's, Lite Panels, Mole Richardson, Arri, and many many more. Again it depends on your space.
If there are any specifics that you need help with it probably help you get more responses on the board.

-Paul

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jan 20, 2016 at 9:25:20 pm

Definitely a broad question. Nobody on here is going to design your studio (or even spec gear) for free!

You should find a local BROADCAST integrator that works with your local procurement CO-OP (nice, low, fixed prices for schools) if you work at a public school. I put the word broadcast in caps because there are plenty of AV and wall-banger (TV hanger) "integrators" that claim they can do broadcast because they have access to brands like BMD and Vaddio, when in reality they can barely hang a TV level! I speak from experience...

Also you should probably reach out to your procurement people now to find out what the paperwork, RFP/RFQ, and bidding requirements will be for this project. Last thing you want to do is put together a great wish list with a vendor only to find out you have to hire someone to design your system, then have a bunch of vendors bid on the sale, and installation contracts.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jan 20, 2016 at 9:28:32 pm

One more thing. Most integrators make their living off submitting proposals. You should concentrate on defining the requirements of the system, and send out an RFP. Let the vendors figure it out!!

Some good resources are InfoComm, SBE, and SMPTE if you are unfamiliar with the process.

Return to posts index

Brian Rodriguez
on Jan 20, 2016 at 10:28:23 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Since the original post, the decision has been made by administration to hire a company to come in and handle all the systems integration...the original post was more of a fire drill (hence the broadness of the initial inquiry), but they are coming in with a bid of $65k for the studio buildout. At the heart of it is the Newtek Tricaster 40 switcher...it looks pretty basic, does anyone have experience with this switcher?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]