FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thinking about using something like LiveU in a studio situation

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Waldhofer
Thinking about using something like LiveU in a studio situation
on Nov 3, 2015 at 3:13:11 pm

Hi all!

Our organisation has a small TV studio where we mostly just record statements and send them all over the world, but sometimes we are doing live interviews with CNN/BBC/etc. Although that doesn't happen that often (about 4-5 times a year), our studio is equipped with a landline connection that connects it to a satellite uplink which costs us huge amounts of money (although the broadcasters pay for the uplink itself).

Now I'm thinking if it wouldn't be a better and cheaper alternative to use something like LiveU to connect the studio directly to broadcasters and cut out the satellite uplink. Does anyone have some experience with that? Is that something even worth considering?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Christian

Return to posts index

Paul Buchan
Re: Thinking about using something like LiveU in a studio situation
on Jan 8, 2016 at 3:29:44 pm

You have some options when it comes to alternatives for satellite. We use fiber and IP lines to connect our facility to the world. Services like Vyvx, TheSwitch, and LTN are out there. Depending on what IP bandwidth you have at your location LTN would probably be the cheapest.
Since you're only doing 4 or 5 a year my guess is that LTN may be to expensive, unless you're planning on growing that business. LiveU would probably work in your situation. If I remember correctly they may have a non-mobile version that would work as more of a permanent install (rack mountable). They key would be contacting the networks that you usually work with and see what equipment they have for receiving. Another option might be Skype for Broadcast, but I've never worked with the broadcast side of it.
Hopefully that offers some insight.

-Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]