FORUMS: list search recent posts

VITC on file deliverable?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sian O'Brien BA MCP
VITC on file deliverable?
on Sep 4, 2015 at 2:55:59 pm

Hi team,

I'm an Offline Edit Assistant, so a little out of my depth when it comes to broadcast deliverables.

We're in the process of having our DigiBeta's digitised into .mxf OP-1a deliverable files.

In the process of checking them, I noticed Avid AMA's and plays them back fine, but in VLC player VITC is visible.

VLC Codec Information states they are 720x608, whereas MediaInfo says they are 720x576.

Is this going to be a problem for Broadcasters? If yes, should we produce new 720x576 masters from Avid or should we have them re-digitised?

They're also supposed to be 16x9, which I thought was 1024x576. If these files are 720x576, does that mean they're anamorphic videos? And if yes, will this be a problem?

Really appreciate any insight into the world of digital deliveries. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place or has too much or lacks information.

Many thanks,
Sian

Return to posts index

Jerome Martinez
Re: VITC on file deliverable?
on Feb 5, 2016 at 8:43:01 pm

[Sian O'Brien BA MCP] "VLC Codec Information states they are 720x608, whereas MediaInfo says they are 720x576."

I think VLC does not support "display area" info from e.g. MXF, so displays the whole frame, including VITC in VBI. Not a problem for broadcasters if they support such kind of file (you need to ask them, but they usually do, this is classic)
If you look at text of tree view in MediaInfo, you should see both values (608 and 576).

[Sian O'Brien BA MCP] "They're also supposed to be 16x9, which I thought was 1024x576"

Only in the case of square pixels. You can not suppose of width with only height and display aspect ratio, corresponding width depends of Pixel Aspect Ratio. For PAL (720x576) this is **not** square pixel aspect ratio.

[Sian O'Brien BA MCP] " If these files are 720x576, does that mean they're anamorphic videos? And if yes, will this be a problem?"

Yes it is anamorphic, no it will not be a problem because it is standard PAL (you would have a problem if the file is not anamorphic, actually)

Jérôme, developer of MediaInfo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]