FORUMS: list search recent posts

Public Access TV Show - Low Fi and SD

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Panovich
Public Access TV Show - Low Fi and SD
on Apr 29, 2015 at 5:38:36 pm

This will be a long post with a lot of questions and side notes. Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Also, even though I have a decent knowledge of audio and video, assume I know nothing.

I am starting a public access TV show here in Brooklyn. A late night horror show theme. Here is what I'm trying to accomplish:

- SD, "old video" or low-fi look (think Public Access from the 80's), yet still broadcast quality
- live broadcast from offsite (our own "studio", not at the TV station), as well as taking calls live
- combining public domain films and clips with live and taped video
- live editing
- use of chroma key

Here are some questions I have:

- Can old consumer camcorders (think VHS or miniDV) be used and the video still be made broadcast safe? What program/hardware is optimal for doing this? (i.e. running the video through stand alone hardware? For taped segments I'm assuming we can edit and output to broadcast quality) Can this be accomplished live?
- What are the absolute cheapest pieces of gear I need in order to accomplish these things? I assume I'll need a video switcher/mixer and something to send the feed to the studio.
- What software is necessary? (as of right now I have final cut pro 7. assuming I'll need some sort of livecasting software or live video editing software)

- What is the best format to download public domain clips for broadcast quality? As of right now I'm finding a lot of avi and mpeg2 formats, converting them to apple prores to edit. Will this be suitable?
- side question: I've got mpeg streamclip, handbrake, and wondershare to convert these. I've had to use wondershare for Mpeg2, divx, and Avi because mpeg doesn't support them. Is there an all in one converter that works better than any of these for the mpeg2, divx, and avi formats as well as everything else? I've had rendering problems in FCP.

This is a totally ramshackle operation. No funding. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible on this. Think tin can on a string level production and budget. So gear like Videonics and Sima off of eBay will be my friends.

I'm about to take a video production course offered by our local public access station, and I'm sure at least some of these questions could be answered then, but I want to be able to make an informed and justified case to the programming director about the "look" of the program.

So if anyone could come up with any ideas for a ground-up setup for this operation, as well as any answers to the technical questions, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks.

Low-Fi & Consumer Grade Audio Engineer / Producer for No-Budget Film & Television

Five Productions

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
Re: Public Access TV Show - Low Fi and SD
on May 10, 2015 at 7:22:49 pm

Try EasiestSoft Video Converter for your conversions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]