2 broadcast questions audio and sat

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carly Smith
2 broadcast questions audio and sat
on Oct 31, 2014 at 1:45:17 pm

Hi all -

2 questions today.

I have been tasked with providing a live sat uplink. We have the truck, which is Ku, but have never used the sat equipment.
Where do I actually book the time on the sat/ Google has NOT been my friend on this search.

Question 2 has to do with terminology. The receiving network has asked me to provide an 'Ad Listen Line' so they can insert their own ads.

Could someone be kind enough to define what this means on the tech side?
Don't want to make any assumptions.

TIA

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: 2 broadcast questions audio and sat
on Nov 4, 2014 at 5:19:56 pm

I'd check with the people you are renting the truck from. They can often set you up with the SAT time as well. If not, they will know who to contact.

As for the listen line, I'm assuming that this is an extra audio line that goes with the SAT signal or over a separate phone line to the master control of the broadcast. It allows them to listen to the directer or producer of the live event and to know exactly when a break is coming. This allows them to insert their own material into the breaks and have it look reasonably clean.
Or it could simply be a phone line where the receiving station can dial in to verify that a signal is being uplinked at a given moment.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Carly Smith
Re: 2 broadcast questions audio and sat
on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:39:12 am

Hi Tom -

Thanks for the replies. For#2, thats what I assumed it was.

For #1, we own the sat truck. We bought it used and have never bought time before. Trying to expand my knowledge base and the sat forums talk a lot about equipment but not about how to book time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]