FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up Live Streaming for Tournament Hockey

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Smith
Setting up Live Streaming for Tournament Hockey
on Oct 28, 2014 at 4:23:54 am

Hey all, I have started a company filming hockey games for several organizations around the Dallas area, capturing the games using multiple GoPro cameras and editing them all to one video for coach review and player enjoyment. I've had many teams ask me about live streaming their travel tournaments and just started researching it. I did my son's team in Detroit for the parents that stayed home with my Galaxy S5 and the Livestream.com app, and it came out pretty decent for people watching on their phone and tablets, barely watchable on a 42" TV. I'm real interested in getting a setup for doing it regularly, but need to start cheaper to get my foot in the door.

I know streaming HD is very expensive through a service, and I'm not going to pay 100-500 a month for as few games as I'm going to do. Most rinks have WiFi access with pretty decent bandwith, between 500-1000Kb(?) which kept me in the green on the Livestream app. Livestream doesn't have any out of the box cameras that connect to their service, but Ustream does, but then I'm tied to that service.

I guess my questions are:
1. What would be a good entry level camera (HD or SD) to use streaming these games. I don't think I need a XA25, but how about a Canon HF G20 or 30?
2. Do I really need HD for this? Will I ever be able to stream HD using guest WiFi or tether my LTE or 3G phone?
3. What output from this camera should I target to get a decent picture for people watching at home on their Gbox or Roku through an app?
4. What service allows me to charge per viewer but not break me paying them per month? I doubt I'll ever have more than 50 viewer for any hockey game I stream. Mostly grandmas and grandpas watching junior. Not planning on making a killing here. It's done regularly at FastHockey.com, and they charge $10 per game.

That's about it. I have plans eventually to stream my GoPro feeds to a laptop and get a switcher and broadcast games that way. It's so my cleaner than trying to camcord a hockey game, but transmitters for each gopro and a switcher is way beyond my budget right now.

Any ideas or guidance would be very much appreciated. I know there are many professional videographers here, and this is pretty small potatos, but it's making me a little money right now, and I'd like it to make me a little more....

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]