FORUMS: list search recent posts

On-Set Monitor Recommendations??? With good color temperature?? 3200K screen??

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Smith
On-Set Monitor Recommendations??? With good color temperature?? 3200K screen??
on Sep 16, 2014 at 4:26:11 pm

I am looking to buy a large LCD/LED monitor (65"+) for on set use in a 3200K lighting environment. Does anyone have any good recommendations of what monitors are available that reproduce colors well on camera with an adjustable color temperature range down to 3200K???

I'm sure there are some monitors out there that are better than others for this application. Has anyone found a good solution that is a Best-Buy kind of purchase? I think Christie makes some monitors that might work for me, but their price tag is a little higher than I was hoping to go. I may have to bite the bullet and go the Christie route, but was hoping someone had a good experience with a specific make/model that works well and could be purchased locally.

I was wondering about maybe the Sharp Aquos, as they have introduced "Quattron" with Yellow Pixels in the mix, and I thought this might actually help with the color temperature issue. Anyone try these??

Return to posts index

Scott Smith
Re: On-Set Monitor Recommendations??? With good color temperature?? 3200K screen??
on Sep 17, 2014 at 12:21:36 pm

I see AJA is now selling a mini-converter called a LUT-Box. With it you can change a lot of your color settings for your monitor. I haven't yet tried it, but I am hoping this might solve the issue of 6500k+ monitors on a 3200k set. I'm still open for other suggestions, but will probably give this a go and see what happens. Will post again with results if I do this.

I can't be the only person having this issue . . . . What is everyone else doing to solve this?

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: On-Set Monitor Recommendations??? With good color temperature?? 3200K screen??
on Sep 19, 2014 at 3:26:41 am

I've encountered this many times. I have found no onboard monitor settings that came close to rendering proper color temperature, even when a "warm" setting and handles on RGB gains are available. The solution was to use inline RGB correction (the YUV correction available on our switcher AUX feeds do not offer the ability to correct monitor white balance).
We had QuStream units available for this purpose, but other solutions are available, such as units from Xintekvideo. I 'm not familiar with the AJA LUT box, but that could also do the job. Very good reproduction can be had but it does take a bit of tweaking. I've also found that, even when well set up using a chip chart or monochrome staircase, greyscale tracking is generally not very good on most set monitors- a high APL image might look great but a darker image might go a bit reddish or bluish. You generally have to find a good in-between setting, both on the corrector and on the monitor, and make note of the settings values. You may also find that monitors of the same model by the same maker don't match very well, so you may need separate correctors on each display.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Sep 24, 2014 at 2:01:43 pm

It's old school but you can also try putting a large sheet of 85B color correcting gel over the face of the monitor. Wide rolls of the stuff are available. It's usually used to bring down the color temperature of outdoor windows when shooting inside at 3200K. Get the non neutral density version otherwise it will cut down the brightness of the monitor too much.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Sep 25, 2014 at 3:20:13 am

I've tried the gel approach with varying degrees of success. Keeping it flat on the surface and not "crinkling" can be troublesome, and of course, it's shiny, not matte finish like the flatscreen it's on, so reflections can abound.
Once had an "oh by the way" where a projector was placed in the set to provide a wall-sized image. I did stick a couple of gels in the light path so the image wasn't a bright blue blob.

Return to posts index

Scott Smith
on Oct 3, 2014 at 5:32:52 pm

I played with our existing Samsung for a long time, adjusting the colors. Finally added a 3200 gel on it. It helped in some ways. Make the color a little more real on camera. But purples looked completely blue. Maybe I could have eventually adjusted that out . . . .

But the shininess, bubbles, and waviness just was not going to do. Gel bad.

Bought a new monitor with a significant upgrade . . . . (next post . . .)

Return to posts index

Scott Smith
on Oct 3, 2014 at 5:28:23 pm

FYI, We finally bought a Sharp Aquos Board (PN-L802B), which is an 80" screen, has color temperature adjustments that go from 2900k to 10,000k in color temperature. Screen is not too shiny. Image looks great. It also has Smart Board technology, so we can use it on set as a big, live telestrator.

Con -> Pricey. But we were able to get a client to pay for it . . . :-)

I had a good look, demoing one, and it seemed to be a good choice for us. The one we bought has not arrived yet, so I haven't truly tested it out on set under lights, and on-camera. But I think it will work out well.

Return to posts index

Scott Smith
on Dec 3, 2014 at 3:00:31 pm

Update . . . . the Sharp Aqous Board we ended up getting can be very good for the adjustment of color temperature - making it look the right color on set.

But I have noticed a huge second problem. Since this is a Smart-Board type of unit (we thought that having that functionality would be a real plus), it has a three different layers on the screen. The LCD screen, some kind of protective glass, and the touch-screen sensor/matrix component. And wouldn't you know it . . . . there is some sort of moire or maybe weird polarization effect on camera that is invisible to the naked eye. On camera, it's full of rainbows. Ugh!

Maybe the regular Sharp Aqous (non-Board version) would work well for on camera in regards to color temperature - but I honestly do not know.

Additionally, these come with a prebuilt small computer that accompanies them with the proper software and such. The output on it will not do 59.94i, only 60p. I must use a scaler to get a decent direct output. Or replace the computer with one with a much improved video card - which is another option.

So . . . FYI on the Sharp Aquos Board for on-camera/on-set usage. If you do any type of smart-bored'ish product, definitely to a camera test first, with some plain white background images. I did some photos, and checked the color temp, but stupidly never put it to a real test on video camera first. My own fault.

Return to posts index

Scott Smith
on Jan 25, 2017 at 10:17:40 pm

Update to this old thread . . .

As stated above, I have had an issue for a long time in shooting in a studio with monitors on the set. Expensive professional monitors have good color temperature control. Instead, we now have a nice, big, consumer Samsung 4k LED TV's. Their color temp control has "Standard, Cool, Warm1, and Warm2". - which are roughly equivalent (by appearance) to 10000, 9000, 6800, and 5700 Kelvin. Or somewhere in there, it's a guesstimate. Of course my studio lights are at 3200k, so even the warmest of these look bluish on camera.

The monitor needs a SDI to HDMI converter anyway, so I finally broke down and bought a BlackmagicDesign SDI to HDMI MiniTeranex and used the LUT feature to adjust the color temp on the monitor. Looks amazing. I am very happy with the result. What made it especially nice and easy, was finding some free LUTs** for simple color temp changes of this very nature. I am very happy with the color on camera.

The only complaint I have is that the MiniTeranex has a pretty loud fan, which is audible in the studio. A shame. Otherwise this has been a perfect solution. I'm still using it, but do wish it was more quiet, and have to watch my mic placement or make sure it is turned off when doing thing on-set that don't use the monitor.

I love it anyway, but damn.

**Here is a link to the LUTs i used for various color temp/white balances that I found. They were intended for when you have your camera set for tungsten at 3200k, and forget to white balance when you go outside under 5600k or the opposite where you white balance outside and go inside. They have 20 white balance correction LUTs with these white balance values 2800, 3200, 4300, 5500 and 6500 Kelvin allowing you to cross-correct just about any lighting-white balance error you may encounter. . . . . . And they work very well for inexpensive monitors on set, like in my situation.
https://lutify.me/free-white-balance-correction-luts-for-everyone/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]