FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sports broadcasting issue

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carly Smith
Sports broadcasting issue
on Jun 4, 2014 at 12:49:59 pm

I didn't know quite where to put this question, so here goes:

We broadcast sports played on both artificial and regular turf.

We have noticed that our output for cable TV providers often shows the grass as pixellated, even at 20-50Mbps HD output. Everything else looks great except for the grass.

We are shooting using Sony Z1U cameras.

Related question: We have also noticed when these cameras are zoomed out all the way that we get a slight ghosting of the image over RG6 coming into the truck patch.

This second issue does not appear on the tapes we are recording to.

Both issues happen with all of our cameras, so we are assuming settings.(?)

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Sports broadcasting issue
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:00:20 pm

Can you provide a little more information? What format is the signal from your cameras? What format are you recording in? What are you recording on? What format are you sending through the RG6 cable-SD or HD? Analog or digital? How are you delivering to the cable system?
BE aware that the cable company is going to further compress your video when it's inserted into their system. Depending on that amount of compression, it can have a huge affect on the look of the delivered video. Grass, leaves or running water have a large amount of detail information which is often lost during compression. When it goes into the cable system it will be compressed again resulting in mush when the video has a lot of detail.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Carly Smith
Re: Sports broadcasting issue
on Jul 4, 2014 at 12:58:44 am

Actually Tom, you pretty much answered my question right there. I appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]