FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another term for b-roll?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric McCarthy
Another term for b-roll?
on Apr 29, 2014 at 8:18:14 pm

I seem to remember from back in my broadcast days that we used another term for b-roll, especially stuff that was sent in by a company in hopes that it might make it on air sometime (as opposed to what are shooters would gather for coverage).
Anyone able to jog this old guy's memory?

Thanks in advance.

Eric McCarthy
Motion Designer, Editor, Camera Operator
Pyramide Productions
Redmond, Wa

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Another term for b-roll?
on May 1, 2014 at 3:35:28 pm

VPR? Video Press Release?

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on May 1, 2014 at 4:16:48 pm

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply, our producer says that was not the term she remembers (she is even older in the biz). She was in the video dept. at B of A and insists there was an industry specific term for the "enviromentals" that would get sent out with a written press release.
Of course, this was back in the day of 3/4" tape, so it may have faded from the collective lexicon since then.
By the way, what is the meaning of your signature "E=MC2+/-2db"? I only ask because when I work as an independent contractor, I use the name Emc2 Productions (a play on my name).
Thanks again,
Eric

Eric McCarthy
Pyramide Productions
Redmond, Wa

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on May 1, 2014 at 7:59:16 pm

It's just a joke on Einstein's famous formula for energy and matter conversion which is considered to be an exact constant with the joke of +/-2db (meaning it's NOT exact) thrown in for fun. No reference to any place or company in particular. Just a nerd joke.

I go back way before 3/4" tape. Let me think on it for a while and see what I can come up with.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on May 1, 2014 at 7:56:40 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Rendell on May 1, 2014 at 7:57:40 pm

I remember EPK, for electronic press kit (if memory serves well), and VNR, for video news release.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on May 6, 2014 at 12:46:26 pm

The funniest take on the subject-

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on May 6, 2014 at 3:20:29 pm

Funny stuff! Thanks for digging that out - I haven't seen that in years! I forgot how funny it is. And thanks to the other two suggestions. My producer insists that there was another term that was used, however, I am starting to think it might have been company specific slang, since we have thrown a bunch of other terms at her and so far no one has jogged her memory. It is turning into a bit of a studio joke.
If anyone else can think of a term, please post it!

Eric McCarthy
Pyramide Productions
Redmond, Wa

Return to posts index

Randy Burleson
on May 31, 2014 at 6:19:50 pm

Cut aways ?

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jul 17, 2014 at 2:05:27 pm

Cover video?

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Scott Smith
on Sep 17, 2014 at 12:45:40 pm

I wouldn't know any old school film terms (I'm not a film guy), but it has been predominantly called B-Roll on the tape medium ever since A-B roll editing was created (meaning before 3/4" tape). "Cutaway" could be what she is remembering. That is the only term I can think of that means anything similar.

A quick wiki search says that AB Roll editing was around during 16mm film days, so it is a very old term.

Return to posts index

Gregory Tipton
on Jul 18, 2015 at 4:39:22 pm

Second Unit footage, or inserts… But those are film terms, and that's about as old-school as you can get.

Gregory Tipton
Editor/Producer
http://www.bigpixture.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]