FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Caption for Broadcast Question

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Wine
Closed Caption for Broadcast Question
on Apr 16, 2014 at 1:44:37 am

Here is my problem. I need closed caption for an informercial I created for a local college. I know there is a way to turn on and off closed caption, but how do you create this for the video? I know the text needs to be created, but I am also aware you don't put this on the actual master. There has to be some type of process to have this in the actual file with the capability to turn on and off - Correct?

Yeah, I am really lost here on what to do, but most of all, I would like to know how this works step by step.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Closed Caption for Broadcast Question
on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:30:57 pm

Closed Captioning is a digital code inserted into a program file Oor tape) that can be read by a caption capable receiver. In the old days, it was a binary code that was inserted into the vertical interval of an analog broadcast signal. It "hid" just off the top of the screen on programming. Today, it's most often a digital coded file that is inserted into a program file before distribution. The easiest way to do this is to simply send your project file off to a captioning service and let them deal with it. You can do it your self with the proper software and hardware, but this usually isn't cost efficient for one or two projects. The software is not cheap and it takes a fair amount of knowledge to use it. In between the two there is a simi-do-it-yourself solution. You can still use a captioning service, but rather than having them do it all, you can just have then generate the captioning file, usually a .scc file, and insert it into your program yourself. This will work under the right circumstances. You send then a reference file, often a low quality Quicktime or Windows Media file and they will use it to generate the .scc file. That file can be easily emailed since it is basically a simple text file and is normally fairly small. Once you have the file, you can insert it onto your program. The process depends on what software you are using for editing or compressing. Compressor can do it in most cases. This will result in a file that can be read by most of the TV stations and the captioning info on your file will be used to generate both 601 and 701 type captioning at the station, depending on their equipment and workflow. Each facility is different so check with them as to what they can handle when they generate their file for broadcast. When in doubt, ask someone at the station where the spot will be airing. They should be able to answer your questions.
It's not too difficult to do but is is tricky with lots of places for it to go bad. When in doubt, hand the job off to a professional.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Travis Wine
Re: Closed Caption for Broadcast Question
on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:23:10 pm

Thanks Tom - taking your advice and getting another to do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]