FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vintage broadcast monitor puzzle

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Shuff
Vintage broadcast monitor puzzle
on Feb 25, 2014 at 5:04:28 pm

This seems like the place where someone might be able to solve this vintage tech puzzle.

I picked up this beautiful vintage broadcast video monitor for a song.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2xassckzziryvth/rlUMxQ24nO?lst

The presence of chroma and phase dials lead me to believe that it's a color monitor, but when I feed signal in, all I get is B&W.

It can def *display* color; when I switch the individual color channels it does show just those colors.

Was there an old signal structure using two bncs with color info separated out?

Hoping to find/make an adapter for RCA, or just settle that it's really a B&W monitor. :)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Vintage broadcast monitor puzzle
on Feb 26, 2014 at 6:43:28 pm

Nope, it's old but it is a color monitor. Lots of them around many years ago. It should just take a composite video feed and display color if it's working correctly. Make sure that the toggle switch for the chroma mode is turned on. If it's still B&W, try working the Chroma pot for a while in case it's dirty and needs "exercising". Make sure that you are feeding it a composite signal and not the "Y" portion of a Y/C signal. If you are doing that, it will only show black and white. What source are you trying to feed it with?

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 26, 2014 at 8:20:15 pm

If you are feeding it the wrong type of composite video then you would see no chroma, but probably also off-lock if it is a PAL monitor and you are feeding it NTSC...

Return to posts index

David Shuff
on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:26:22 pm

Ah ha! I confess this turned out to be a bit of a head smacker.

Somehow in all my mucking around whenever I switched chroma to 'on' it must have been dialed down. And I didn't help that the source I was using was a little security cam I had lying around that, while color, has pretty low saturation to begin with.

Anyway, the picture is lovely in an aged, glowing, grainy mess kind of way. Thanks all so much for input and the push to keep tinkering...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]