FORUMS: list search recent posts

grade monitor - understanding and deciding.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan smith
grade monitor - understanding and deciding.
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:49:21 pm

Hi guys

I have a query regarding buying a new reference monitor.

We are a video production company who mainly work in corporate films. We shoot 4k or 4khd on our red Scarlet and deliver in hd. We are about to shoot our first feature film, which will be shot 4k on our Scarlet and an additional Epic (possibly we may shoot 5k on the Epic)

We need to get a new grade monitor that we can use to grade our regular corporate work on, but ideally we would also use this monitor when we are QCing, assembling and grading dailies on the feature shoot.

my questions are:

-It seems that most monitors are HD, are there monitors (that I can't find) which have a native 2k resolution? or has 2k/4k traditionally been in the realm of projectors (at12-bit i guess?) I note that canon is bringing out a 4k grade monitor, as is sony… this is quite a new development?

-Is it standard to QC rushes from 4k sources on HD equipment? I would presume that any scaling operation would prevent accurate assessment - e.g. a dead pixel in 4k might be missed on a scaled output?

-Dolby states that its top of the line display (prm 4200) supports 12-bit without 'dithering or scaling', some of the sony OLED monitors have 12-bit engines also, does this mean that they have 12-bit panels too? or is there some magic that allows you to finish 12-bit footage on a 10-bit panel, i.e so you can fit it in the DCP p3 gamut specification?

-if we held out (and got a bank loan) what would be the benefit of getting a 4k display. Sony do a 10-bit one (no 12-bit engine) which I like the look of, but really other than 1:1 pixel checking, what is the point?

- could a 10-bit panel be used to quality check 12-bit images? i.e if it looks good for 10-bit, it will look good for 12-bit?

Thanks for your help guys

Best

Dan Smith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]