FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Tech Specs for Delivery of TV Spot

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Johnson
Audio Tech Specs for Delivery of TV Spot
on Jun 30, 2013 at 4:36:49 pm

Hi, I have a question regarding audio tech specs for delivery of a TV commercial. In the paperwork that I've been given, it lists a bunch of specs, most of which I'm used to seeing, except it says...

Audio levels should peak no higher than -10dbFS
Audio loudness levels should be -24 +/-2 per The CALM Act/ATSC A/85 specification

Does this mean I should monitor my audio for -24db with peaks/spikes no higher than -10db?
or
Does this mean I should monitor at -10db?

The audio is just a music track, so it's pretty straight forward, no VO or SFX, etc.

Thanks in advance for the advice, much appreciated!
Sarah.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Audio Tech Specs for Delivery of TV Spot
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:43:44 pm

ATSC A/85 is a guideline for using loudness measurement for audio as opposed to the traditional peak/RMS. The -24 +/- 2 number means that a loudness measurement of -24 LKFS should be the target. The peak level of -10 dBFs or -10 dBTP should be heeded as well.

With a tool like Avid's Pro Limiter, or the Waves WFM loudness meter (among many others), you can measure LKFS and dBTP easily.

If you don't have a loudness meter, you may want to look into a (somewhat) automated tool to gain change your mix into a loudness spec. Video Toolshed makes a very inexpensive tool where you feed in your mix file, set the specs, and it outputs an adjusted file to match the spec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]