FORUMS: list search recent posts

Commercials are blown out

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Lewis
Commercials are blown out
on Mar 28, 2013 at 3:21:30 am

I produce a good many local television commercials. On my monitor, televisions, and computers, they look fine. I check my waveform monitor and it's good (I try to keep the whites a good bit under 100 IRE). Loaded to youtube or vimeo they look good. When I send them to our cable provider and they re-encode it, everything is terribly blown out. https://vimeo.com/57391546
Nothing special about this car ad, but you can see it isn't too "loud". But when it is on TV, the second gentleman's clothes and car are total glare. The last woman looks terrible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
And one more piece of info.... they look fine on one cable service, but not the main (big) one.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Commercials are blown out
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:55:32 pm

Check your chroma levels too, make sure they're not too far out of gamut. I like a vectorscope for that, and checkdown on an RGB parade view to catch anything that's above 700mV or below 0mV.

Other than that, on a glance on my computer screen, it looks good. Someone downstream is likely screwing things up in encoding for air. You've seen it on air looking good, so you know it should be fine everywhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]