FORUMS: list search recent posts

Betacam SX quandary

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Hughes
Betacam SX quandary
on Mar 16, 2013 at 9:36:29 pm

Hi!
I want to dabble in spot news. I made the conscious decision to buy an older piece of gear; price, full-sized, and I thought plenty of parts and knowledge.

I got a DNW-7.

I apparently got the only camera in the fleet that didn't have the standard 26 pin out, just composite. I can't see lugging all that around, the investment of glass, etc. for the same signal I can get from a toy camera.

Digging around, I found a teeny, weeny 40 pin connector. Research tells me it is a Sony Parallel Digital Component port.

I want to come out of that, and directly digital into a laptop for ingest, or out of that, into a DVR (to be hacked together at a future point in time).

It's been like pulling hen's teeth trying to unscrew this. I'd buy a CA-702 or aftermarket if I could find one sub-hundred dollars.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Betacam SX quandary
on Apr 24, 2013 at 5:29:45 pm

I don't know whether the DNW7 had a slot for the optional SDI output card, (the DNW9 and Digibeta cameras do) but if it does, your best bet would be to try to locate one on eBay (or wherever) and then record the video from the digital SDI output with an external box like an AJA KiPro or a Blackmagic deck.
The SX recording format is very compressed and lossy. Not the best quality to begin with.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]