FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creation of Clocks/Slates and use of Bars/Tones

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonnie Lewis
Creation of Clocks/Slates and use of Bars/Tones
on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:53:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm involved in the production of my first TV ad.

I think I have most of the technical specifications understood, but I've never created a slate/clock before. Are there any templates available that I could use? If not, what sort of guidelines should I follow for creating one?

Also, I've seen that there is an option in Premiere Pro to create bars and tones but they don't seem to be very customisable. Surely there's a bit more to it than just setting the frame rate and dropping it into the timeline?

Many thanks in advance,
Jonnie.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Creation of Clocks/Slates and use of Bars/Tones
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:43:02 pm

[Jonnie Lewis] "Are there any templates available that I could use? If not, what sort of guidelines should I follow for creating one?"

There's a few decent looking clocks in the files sections of the FCP-L and Avid-L2 groups on Yahoo. Grab one and fill in your slate details in your NLE.

[Jonnie Lewis] "I've seen that there is an option in Premiere Pro to create bars and tones but they don't seem to be very customisable."

That's the point - you shouldn't customize a standard bar pattern. If you need a pattern that's not there, you might find it elsewhere, but they are standard for a reason, so they can be independently measured to the spec they represent.

[Jonnie Lewis] "Surely there's a bit more to it than just setting the frame rate and dropping it into the timeline?"

That's it, usually. Make sure it's to length and if there's tone make sure it's at -20 dBFs per channel.

Return to posts index

Jonnie Lewis
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:58:56 pm

Thanks for the reply - appreciate it. That's cleared up bars and tones for me!

I use Premiere Pro and After Effects so I've posted on Yahoo groups to see if somebody has one that I can use. Any other ideas as to where I might find a clock template for PPro/AE?

Thanks again - appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Jonnie Lewis
on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:16:14 pm

I went about creating my own clock in After Effects, based on another example which someone very kindly posted up on another forum.

For the purpose of a test, I created this "30 sec ad template" in After Effects and Premiere Pro CS6. Obviously the slate info could change depending on what each network wanted.

Bars and tone for 5 secs, clock for 28 secs, 2-pop and black screen for 2 secs, 30 sec ad, 5 secs of black frames at end:

Do you think this sort of thing will be acceptable to broadcasters?

On another note - I didn't realise Ad-ID's had to be licensed to each agency until today. Do broadcasters always look for them or are they optional?

Cheers again.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Feb 14, 2013 at 2:25:22 pm

This looks great. And yes, if you need ISCI/Ad-Id codes, I believe you have to license them as they must be unique. For promos, it's not usually necessary, but commercials absolutely.

Return to posts index

Jonnie Lewis
on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:15:20 pm

Great - thanks for the help :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]