FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Setup Advice

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Munford
New Setup Advice
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:07:46 pm

I am the IT director for a small school district here in Iowa. One of our teachers wants to start and after school class to learn basic video and audio broadcasting/editing/etc. Our plan for next year is to get the Education Edition of the Tri-Caster and build the class around that but for now we are just going to get a few camera's to get students interested.

The first step in this for us is to broadcast the basketball games live on a HDTV in our commons area that is 75 yards away. This will be video plus audio. The audio will go through a mixer and we will have two commentators doing the play by play.

Step two of this plan is to stream to youtube. In lue of the tri-caster at first I am planning on using a mac mini and a video capture card to encode to youtube.

I know that by myself I could get all of this to work, however I'm not certain that it would be the "Correct Way" which is why I have come asking for advice.

So I guess my question is what kind of gear should I use? I was thinking of a Canon XA10 to be our primary camera. Audio mixing can be provided by a simple 6-8 channel mixer. What is the proper way of running cable at lengths past 15-20 feet? I had thought about going Component over cat5 but I know that isn't the correct method. Will a shotgun mic on a camera provide good enough sound out to the mixing board to play behind the commentators?

Any help at this point would be fantastic. Also if there is some sort of best practices link that I could look at I could do some reading for myself as well.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]