FORUMS: list search recent posts

Studio Cabling Schematic

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
Studio Cabling Schematic
on Oct 29, 2012 at 5:00:46 pm

Is there any software available for broadcast studio / post facility cabling schematics?

A little background:

I am designing a new live production facility and numbering every cable, including power with the standard small plastic numbered markers. Apart from just having an excel sheet with those numbers and their connection paths, is there any other way they are documented in the industry?

Will be using a lot of Blackmagic gear such as the Video Hub Studio, ATEM's and some decks etc with quite a few routing options.

Are there are any broadcasting methods for documenting cabling that I may be missing?

Return to posts index

Aleksander Steffensen
Re: Studio Cabling Schematic
on Oct 29, 2012 at 9:52:10 pm

There's a Windows program called WireCAD that is supposed to be perfect for this kind of work. They have a free version with some limitations, go ahead and try it. My personal experience is that it crashes way too much.

Personally I use Adobe Illustrator. Yes, it is extremely cumbersome, but it does work with the small volume of system design I do. Would love to use WireCAD, but like I said, it just feels very buggy and it crashes a lot, and I just will not let myself spend $1300 on software that does not work.

Aleksander Steffensen
Steffensen Multimedia

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Oct 30, 2012 at 6:47:35 pm

Just checked it out. It looks good, shame its Wind0ze. Yes $1300 is a little steep for my needs. Thanks for the info

Scott

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:29:26 pm

I would second Illustrator.

I use it frequently to create video system diagrams for large scale live events. It works perfectly. One tip that I've found is immensely helpful is to setup graphic styles for the different cables (SDI, HD-SDI, VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc) using the BASIC ARROWS Brush library. This will help demonstrate signal flow in the system.

Joel

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]