FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital File Playback

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Mullinax
Digital File Playback
on Sep 11, 2012 at 5:35:43 pm

I work for a large company and we are looking for equipment that we can use to easily add digital video files for playback during live presentations. We go between using DigiBeta and a computer(ppt) now and it works well, but we want to take the Beta out of the workflow and remain digital (and add HD). I would like to be able to go to the venue for the meeting with a sd card or a thumb drive and stick it in the machine, then be able to cue and playback without rendering or stuttering. Are there any products that do this easily and are reliable enough to not worry about beforehand? It would also be great to scale the video on the fly to an HD output (hdmi). I assume there must be broadcast/news playback equipment that would do this?

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: Digital File Playback
on Sep 11, 2012 at 8:37:26 pm

I've seen a few staging companies migrating over to GV T2 units to replace aging Beta decks. 1 Record channel and 2 playback channels in one box. It does file based imports. I'm not sure of the range of file types it handles. I know it will ingest an MP4 or h.264 quicktimes. Upconverts and downconverts on the fly. The output is SDI or HD-SDI. It's an all around solid box.

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/t2

If you can arrange a demo it's worth your time to give it a look.

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:12:05 pm

Hi Chris,
You might also look at Playback Pro. It's a Mac platform based software solution that allows for file-based playback, it allows for setting in and out points and has real-time geometry settings that allow you to manipulate a video on the fly without altering the original video. It runs off a Mac, so you can scale up the hardware to whatever is appropriate for your content. For HD resolutions you're most likely going to want to use a MacPro tower, however I know there are people out there using an external RAID setup with the new MacBook Pros quite successfully. Your milage may vary.

Their website is here: DT Video Labs

hope that helps!

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Sep 20, 2012 at 1:43:57 pm

Check into the AJA KiPro line and also the Black Magic Hyperdeck Studio. Much less expensive than the GV unit and will do both SD and HD playback.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]