FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast standards - interlace or progressive?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
Broadcast standards - interlace or progressive?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 5:20:27 pm

I am a tv program producer. Recently I've produced a few formats for a thematic channel in Poland. The technical requirements of my station was 1080/50i. They do not take any programs that are filmed in progressive.

Now I am producing 12 episodes (whole season) I intend to sell to different tv channels, not only in Europe, also in Asia. Do I have to shoot interlace or I can shoot progressive? In broadcast, interlace is a standard in Europe now, isn't it? Will I have any problems selling the program if it's shot in progressive?

thanks for any answer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Broadcast standards - interlace or progressive?
on Jul 20, 2012 at 2:34:43 pm

[Grzegorz Kwiatkowski] "The technical requirements of my station was 1080/50i... Do I have to shoot interlace or I can shoot progressive?"

You should confirm the following.

Most cameras can shoot 25p. At 1080, they can record what is called Progressive Segmented Frame, of psf. This means that the complete frame captured by the camera is recorded as two fields. The resulting video is 1080 50i, but it looks like 25p.

This is not a new trick: standard-definition DV cameras also used it to record 25p.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

james richard
on Jul 23, 2012 at 9:46:40 pm

You can always use post production methods and tools to convert your interlaced video to progressive.
Most convertors will do that.

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Jul 31, 2012 at 1:21:20 pm

Thanks for answer Dave,

but what is the standard now, from the producer's point of view? If you want to sell a program to different tv stations, should you shoot interlace? I hear interlace is a standard in broadcast, either PAL or HD. My tv station for example rejects footage that is progressive.

I read that LCD tv sets (these days they dominate) can't interpret interlace well, so why broadcast standards stick to interlace?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 31, 2012 at 2:15:04 pm

At 1080, 25p IS interlaced. This is the nature of Progressive Segmented Frame. As stated earlier, you should check with the people in charge of technical standards. You can also consult with your own station's engineers on the nature of Progressive Segmented Frame.

Alternately, there are cameras that will record 50p, which easily can be converted to 25i. Or you can simply shoot 25i.

I do not say that 25p is the best option. I say it is ONE option. I don't know where you intend to distribute the programs. I don't know the delivery standards for the all the various people who will receive your programs.

HD didn't make life simpler, it made it more complicated.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Jul 31, 2012 at 5:36:44 pm

Yeah, but PSF is still progressive in terms of motion fluency. I had many problems with my program which I shot progressive especially with swish pan shots.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Aug 4, 2012 at 8:59:41 am

I'm in the UK and although there are some differences between stations (so you must check with the broadcaster you're supplying to), the general rule-of-thumb is that broadcast specs are interlaced, PSF is fine for material that's originated in progressive, but they don't normally accept material that is shot interlaced and processed to make it progressive.

TBH, if you have problems with camera movement you ought to check where the issue lies, it might not be because of the difference between interlaced and progressive, it could be a camera setup thing like shutter speed or rolling shutter.

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Aug 5, 2012 at 5:47:24 pm

Yeah, I've checked requirements of BBC channel at their website. In 2008 they accepted progressive, but now it's only interlaced and BBC is a standard I guess.

Maciej

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]