FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast Monitoring under £1000 - Mac Workstation

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Barker
Broadcast Monitoring under £1000 - Mac Workstation
on Mar 2, 2012 at 8:36:18 pm

I'm a motion designer with about 10 years experience freelancing both from home and in studios in London.

I've done bits and pieces for broadcast, but usually pretty bold, graphics stuff that stood up to an amount of colour guesswork. Recently I worked on something which was more compositing-based. It looked fine on the Mac monitor - but when I saw it as it was broadcast on a TV it looked terrible. So I decided then and there that I have to improve my colour accuracy at home.

I'm considering buying a Blackmagic Intensity Pro and a Sony LMD-1510W. The monitor is 'entry-level' but at least has blue-only. I'd prefer something 15 or 17 inch because space-saving will help (though not crucial) and I'm really only thinking about getting colours, contrast and gamma right at this stage. I can see the details in 1080HD on the Mac Display (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm generally asking if this sounds like a good setup. If HDMI, the Intensity card and the monitor combo is fit for purpose, or if I would be better off with something else. Many people advise just using a consumer TV but others don't. I'd rather get it right than get it 'OK' if its only going to cost me an extra £500.

Cheers

Return to posts index

John Barker
Re: Broadcast Monitoring under £1000 - Mac Workstation
on Mar 3, 2012 at 12:45:32 pm

Well, after researching a bit more I'm also now considering the Matrox MX02 Mini and the JVC DT-E17L4. This has gone beyond the £1000 budget to more like £2000 but maybe I just have to bite the bullet. There is also the option of the Matrox MX02 and then calibrating a consumer TV or Monitor. If anyone knows the best sub-£1000 monitors to use in that situation it would be helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]