FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1 recording on PIX 240

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tor Saltroe
Sony EX1 recording on PIX 240
on Feb 5, 2012 at 10:54:43 am

Hi!

The SxS recording on Sony EX1 is heavily compressed with 35 Mbit/s 4:2:0. Have anyone tried the new SoundDevices PIX 240 with a Sony EX1? As far as I know the SDI output of EX1 is uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2, correct me if I'm wrong. The PIX 240 offers a range of recording formats and theese should give a better quality than recording on the onboard SxS. Exepriences or thoughts on the issue anyone?

Another thought. The PIX 240 can record 8 channels embedded audio. What box should be put in the pipeline between the camera and the recorder to embed some extra audiochannels? I suppose the sound from the camera inputs are embedded in the SDI-signal from the camera, can anyone confirm this by the way?

Tor Saltroe
saltis media
Norway

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Sony EX1 recording on PIX 240
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:23:07 am

I haven't tried the PIX 240 but I have used the NanoFlash, which does a similar job. The higher bit rate recording is a very useful improvement in quality there, so I'd expect a similar result for the PIX 240. So that's a plus :-)

The other thing that I notice in the specs is the mic inputs. IMO the EX1 isn't the greatest sound recorder in the world as the limiters kick in too early and the audio level monitoring isn't particularly intuitive (YMMV, this is very much a personal opinion), so I'd be very interested in trying the PIX 240's mic inputs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]