FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTC timecode distribution

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Rozon
LTC timecode distribution
on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:55:55 pm

I need to have matching timecode on multiple cameras and iso decks. We have an audio mobile truck coming in (pro toools rig)who will be generating the LTC from Telcom Research – T5010. This unit outputs ballanced XLR. All my video gears TC inputs are BNC connectors.

What kind of DA do I require in order to feed all my cams and decks from this single XLR ballanced line?

Any input would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
Re: LTC timecode distribution
on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:19:01 pm

Best solution would be to adapt from XLR to BNC. I think Markertek has a cable for that, which would then feed a regular BNC DA.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:57:35 pm

The LTC is basically just an audio signal, so a standard video DA will not work for distribution of the LTC signal. An audio DA will work, however. Any converter that can convert balanced to unbalanced audio (ie: A matchbox-type device)should work. A simple RCA to BNC cable would work from the converter. You should be able to put the LTC signal into an audio DA (either balamced or unbalanced) to make multiple outputs to route to your decks/camcorders. You can buy the adapters or you can make your own. Get some BNC crimp-on end kits (a couple of $$ for each one) and by crimping/soldering the ends of the XLR wires to the BNC connectors, make an adapter. It's been a while since I did one but you take either the +&- wires from the audio line across the two connectors on the BNC plug, or tie one of the signal lines to the ground of the audio line and solder both of them to the shell of the BNC connector and take the other signal line and go to the center pin on the BNC connector. I believe either one will work, but it's been a while since I needed to do this so you might try one or the other first to see how it works.
If you have professional camcorders with tome code in and out, you might be able to lock one camera to the TC generator and daisy-chain the other camera together.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Bill Wurther
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:25:37 pm

Don't fear----A standard video DA works just fine. I use them all the time in all kinds of situations from permanent to portable. High-quality GVG, and average-quality prosumer level all work. Audio DAs work too, but most people have a few spare video DAs laying around. Audio DAs are more rare. Timecode is the most forgiving signal we have. Levels are not critical and it almost always works. My 2 centos from 34 years of TC experience...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]