FORUMS: list search recent posts

music video being submitted for broadcast, should i blur clothing labels and logos?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tyler smith
music video being submitted for broadcast, should i blur clothing labels and logos?
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:50:54 pm

I shot a video a few months ago, told the artist not to wear anything with logos on it, but his co artist pretty much rocked logo'd clothing for the entire shoot. they want to submit the vid for broadcast and is it going to be an issue or should i just blur the logos out?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: music video being submitted for broadcast, should i blur clothing labels and logos?
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:46:01 pm

If they purchased the rights to display those logos in the video prior to the shoot, it isn't a problem.
If they didn't, it's time to pony up some dough.

They'll have to pay to secure the rights for the logos after the fact, or they'll have to pay YOU for the work in post; a potentially tricky blurring job, possibly involving motion tracking and perhaps even some rotoscoping.

It falls under the realm of copyright: just as they would not want another band recording their song and selling it for profit without payment to them, they can't expect free use of someone else's logos.

They could also completely sidestep the issue and re-shoot with NO logos. In the long run, this may be the most economical option.

Whether it's blurred or not, they pay.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

tyler smith
Re: music video being submitted for broadcast, should i blur clothing labels and logos?
on Nov 30, 2011 at 11:20:49 pm

thanks, it's quite the piss off when you tell them not to wear clothing with big logos on it and they do it anyway. i'll probably just do a quick and easy blur out of the shots with the logos, won't take me long to do and worth it to get this video out of my life for good. I appreciate the feedback

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]