FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcasting Transmission Format

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Joe
Broadcasting Transmission Format
on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:47:57 am

Hi All,

I seek some advice, what would be the recommended format to broadcast HD video for TV transmission?

I have multiple edit stations like FCP, Edious and Avid. We have P2 and Sony XDCAM camera as well. Most of the broadcast servers are Grass Valley's product. What would be the best format to work with all of these equipments so I don't need to convert and loss video quality to work with? In the mean time, I am concerning about the bandwith, what format is ideal for TV broadcasting? I am thinking of AVC-Intra, Apple Pro-res, DVCPro-HD. Any advice?

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Broadcasting Transmission Format
on Nov 24, 2011 at 1:47:29 pm

What actually gets broadcast is a version of Mpeg which is highly compressed, long GOP. Encoding for broadcast is a job in itself, which is quite separate from originating and editing.

The default position in the UK (where I am) is that origination and editing should be at a minimum spec of 4:2:2 50Mbps, although 35Mbps (e.g., XDCam HD) is usually accepted, see your particular broadcaster for details.

Codecs are less of a specific requirement, although the general principle that each change of compression degrades the quality still applies, so you should do the fewest possible conversions. I normally edit in either the native codec for the camera (as long as it's not a long GOP one) or the standard for the equipment in use (which is ProRes for FCP and DNxHD for Avid, those being the systems I regularly use).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]