FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Monitors For Different Applications

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Brown
Best Monitors For Different Applications
on Oct 26, 2011 at 3:55:58 pm

I haven't really seen a comprehensive list on here, and I was really wondering what you thought about this Bob (and anyone else).

What video (not PC) monitor would you select for each of the following applications and why?

- On camera in the field with scopes
- In the field DIT/Engineer with scopes or without scopes
- Junior editor/ingest workstation
- Machine room
- Edit workstation in an office/cubical environment
- Normal editorial post room - at the editor's desk
- Client monitor by their desk/couch
- Large/master monitor
- Critical evaluation/grading/color correction
- Best monitor/favorite monitor

Right now I personally own a Sony PVM-14L5 with option cards, a Sony BVM-D9H5E for on set/field/DIT, and a lower end Sony LMD-1530W. At the organization I'm on contract with, I've been getting Flanders Scientific monitors purchased when I can, and some Panasonic as well. My heart is still with Sony though.

Thanks your your opinions. I'm really interested.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Best Monitors For Different Applications
on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:15:43 am

why is your heart with Sony ? I am 55 years old, I have used nothing but Sony monitors my entire career, and since they insulted the industry with the LMD series, they have basically told all of us "f. u."
With that said, I understand that the new Sony OLED Monitors are spectacular. I have not seen one yet personally.

Flanders Scientific makes a FANTASTIC monitor for the money. It has so many features, and incredible built in HD scopes that are far superior to Panasonic and JVC. Does TV Logic and CineTal make fantastic monitors - of course they do, but they cost even more money.

As for "bang for the buck", right now, you can't beat FSI. Their stuff is really great. Again, I have not seen the new Sony OLED's, which I understand are really much better.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Brown
on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:27:20 pm

I couldn't stand the first couple of generations of the LMD's either. They were just, well, gross really.

The current LMD's are acceptable for a viewing monitor, but nothing more than that.

The Trimaster's, to me, are an actual CRT replacement. I've been at a few side by side demos by Sony, comparing them with their BVM-D and BVM-A CRT's, and I was blown away. The PVM-L's are pretty amazing as well.

That said, I've been very satisfied with Flanders as well.

Return to posts index

diego delanoe
on May 19, 2012 at 4:22:11 am

Chris, to wich Sony monitor would you compare the FSI LM-2461W. I own one of these and often get asked these question.
In their website they state it´s priced at half than other brands with same capabilities, and i been wondering to wich monitors at each brand they refer to.
What do you think would be the next step in higher quality monitor from Flanders to Sony alternatives.
I have to say im very pleased with my monitor, its great.
Thanks.

THE PANIC PROPAGANDA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]