FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i to 720p (should it be converting this way??)

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Murphy
1080i to 720p (should it be converting this way??)
on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:34:40 pm

Hey guys, I am really trying to figure this out...

I am taking 1080i footage and converting to 720p 60fps, thereby taking the two fields per frame and creating frames from them.... First of all, when I play the resulting file back, every two frames look the same but there are subtle color shifts. Next, there is a double image in the high motion areas. What I'm not understanding is that the deinterlacer should be creating individual frames out of each field, correct? Then what is going on? It's like it's referencing both fields for every frame and averaging them to some degree? I've tried Compressor and JES deinterlacer for this - they both yield the same results.

In JES I use the "Both Fields" option under DEINTERLACING - also, I've tried the STANDARDS CONVERSION at 1280x720 60P. In Compressor, I've modified the FRAME CONTROLS.

Thanks for any help or coaching!

Brian

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: 1080i to 720p (should it be converting this way??)
on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:36:41 pm

I use Compressor to do this. It's easy and works without blending, as long as you set the Frame Controls correctly. Look here:

The key is the retiming set to FAST - seemingly the worst option, but for what you want which is simple, you need Compressor to act dumb and just duplicate fields into frames.

If this is what you've already tried, then check your source material for blended fields.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:40:17 pm

ALSO - make sure that Compressor interprets your source footage correctly before applying any preset. It often fails. Add source footage and check in the Inspector. Make sure it says "Upper Field First". If not, change it to that.

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
on Oct 17, 2011 at 6:38:40 pm

Hey Mark, Thanks so much for taking your time to go over this for me. I am still getting the same results and I just don't understand why. I'll try to upload a still of the video here. It is most obvious when the camera pans to the left. Notice the patio chair backs....double image. The balloons as well. I did check the Inspector and the footage is coming in top field first. Doesn't make sense.

doubleimage.png

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:01:21 pm

I see what you're talking about. It's possible that it's in the source like that. You should take your 59i file and drop it into a 59p sequence in FCP. That way you can step through the fields and see if there is a blended field in there. A blended field would be caused by some processing in the source footage (either bad telecine or some other motion effect). It's likely that you can't do anything about it. Have you tried processing other material? I just did a test run on a finished ten second spot and it came out exactly the way it should.

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:22:53 pm

Yes, previous material comes out the same way. It is all footage from a Canon HF10 HD video camera in the form of MTS files. There are only a few third party programs that will convert MTS files and Toast Titanium is one of them so I've been using it to convert to Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60. I wonder if it's doing the job right!

Do you work with MTS files at all and if so, how do you convert them?

Thanks again for your time and expertise!

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:21:33 pm

If you have the full file structure from the card, you should be able to use Log and Transfer in FCP to access and convert the footage. I usually use some flavor of Apple ProRes as it holds up better than almost any codec I've used. Perhaps Toast is doing something funky to your source media? I've never used Toast to do anything except burn discs, so I wouldn't know.

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:22:20 pm

Thanks again Mark - you've provided me some direction here. I appreciate you offering up the advice!

-Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]