FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions from a beginner

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Minderhout
Questions from a beginner
on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:26:54 am

I'm trying to teach myself how to set up live streaming sports to the web. I've learned a lot from searching these forums and the Internet but there are still several things I haven't been able to figure out.

Question 1 - on connecting cameras to switcher

I currently own two Panasonic HMC40s (will be purchasing a third camera) and I'm looking at getting the ATEM M/E 1 switcher. The HMC40s only output in HDMI and I need to run cable a couple hundred feet to two cameras. I've identified two options:

Option 1 - Blackmagics new camera converters and the studio converter running via optical fiber.

Option 2 - Blackmagic HDMI to HD-SDI converters running via CAT5.

Option 2 is clearly the cheaper way to go, but option 1 has the advantage of talkbalk meaning I don't have to buy a communication system. It also has the option of running a tally when connected to monitors. Is Option 1 going to be the only way to run a tally to low-end prosumer cameras? Is the talkback feature worth the extra investment of Option 1? I don't know how you pros do it, but all the systems seemed more pricy than the extra cost of the camera converters and the studio converter.

Question 2 - on collecting audio

It seems the standard is to collect analog audio and send it from a sound board. How do i collect the audio from my cameras? Do I need to run separate audio cable from my sound board to the cameras or can it be sent via CAT5 or optical fiber?

Question 3 - on instant replays

The cheapest replay system I can find seems to be the 3Play from Newtek. I don't have $20k for replay right now so I'd like to come up with what I'm sure will be a less functional but passable solution in the shortrun. Two thoughts:

Thought 1: Route each video source from a Blackmagic Videohub into it's own DVR and running those back into the switcher. Is this possible or did I just label myself incompetent?

Thought 2: Set up and ISO recording method like the one I saw Bob Zelin write about with a PC and Blackmagic Deckling Quad and then output the computer to the switcher.

Do either of these work or is there another creative way to have replay without the 20 grand for a 3play?

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Kevin Minderhout

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]