FORUMS: list search recent posts

transitions look fuzzy in broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike antonik
transitions look fuzzy in broadcast
on Sep 14, 2011 at 7:33:26 pm

Hi all,

So here's an issue my company has been dealing with for years. We are fortunate enough to get our work on tv screens all across America from national broadcasts to syndication. We've been doing HD since before most stations were. But an issue kept arising that we always thought would correct itself when the stations finally came on board with newer equipment - and that doesn't seem to be the case.

When we finalize a project and send it to tape it looks great - full HD, Sony tape stock, Sony decks, great monitors. We know the show looks great when we play it back in our QC. BUT... when we watch the show during its broadcast, the cross-fade transitions look fuzzy and slightly pixelated. We've been arguing over just what exactly the cause of this is and I thought I'd pose it to the experts here to settle our in-fighting. Any ideas? Is it our uplink distributor? Is it the station's limitation? I've seen this on other productions too, but not all, so someone has figured out the issue and is working around this.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: transitions look fuzzy in broadcast
on Sep 15, 2011 at 12:53:12 am

Compression artifacts. Cable companies in particular are compressing the heck out of the signals to maximize the bandwidth. Yes it's frustrating. As far as a work around I don't know if there is one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]