FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to select a 3-d Building Modeling Software for Productions

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jensen
Need to select a 3-d Building Modeling Software for Productions
on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:10:11 pm

Hi all,

This is probably an easy question, but we're looking to add 3-d building re-creations to our productions, and were trying to determine what software is the best.

This clip from the History Channel best shows what we'd like to do.. it's about halfway through the webclip (it's the shot that is all blue, and the "camera" goes into the building).

http://www.history.com/videos/lost-worlds-about-lost-worlds#inside-herods-t...

As always, thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

Video Producer / Director
North Carolina Justice Academy

Return to posts index

David Jensen
Re: Need to select a 3-d Building Modeling Software for Productions
on Sep 9, 2011 at 7:12:02 pm

Did I post in the wrong forum?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2011 at 7:26:31 pm

We have no idea what you intend to DO with this model other than to "incorporate it into our video productions".
  • We have NO knowledge what this actually means: are you replacing an existing building? Putting a building where there was none before? Something else?
  • We have NO knowledge of the footage into which this building will be incorporated. Aerial shots from a helicopter? A move on a very big jib? A dolly or trucking shot from the ground? A static shot that could be acquired by a still camera?
  • We have NO knowledge of the software at your disposal. 3D modeling, animation and rendering software immediately come to mind, along with motion tracking software.
  • We have NO knowledge whether a skilled 3D animation artist will be making the changes necessary to reflect the environments in which this model will appear, or if you expect this to be more or less a turnkey item that you plug in and use, no prior knowledge necessary.
Thus, are you surprised that no one has responded?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Jensen
on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:36:51 pm

Hey Dave,

Did your read the first post I put??? The one where I said:

"This clip from the History Channel best shows what we'd like to do.. it's about halfway through the webclip (it's the shot that is all blue, and the "camera" goes into the building)."

Then I provided a link, like this:

http://www.history.com/videos/lost-worlds-about-lost-worlds#inside-herods-t...

If you looked at that link you may get a little better idea of what we are intending to do.

I understand that there are several variables here, but people come to this forum for help, not to be patronized.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:21:02 pm

You might get a better response if you posted in one or more of the 3d software sections (autodesk 3ds perhaps).

3D modelling isn't my area, so I have no opinion about software. My experience is that it's a rather specialized field and the best way to go would probably be to find the right person for the job and use whatever software they happen to prefer.

Return to posts index

David Jensen
on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:42:43 pm

Andrew,

Thanks for the honest answer. The situation is that we would be taking on this project ourselves. We have a relatively small staff running CS5.5 Master Suite. We produce training videos for law enforcement and would like to re-create buildings to use for scenarios to map where different team members are..

I thought there would be a "Post Production" forum here, but I didn't see one. So far, it looks like 3ds Max, but I was more interested if there was an industry standard of sorts, or one that was commonly used by post-production facilities for stations like the history channel.

Should I re-post, or can this get moved to another forum?

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:35:54 pm

I don't know what the deal is with moving stuff around, I'd just repost in the 3ds max area, and possibly in Maya and/or Blender as well

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]