FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting gel color compatibility with CCD

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul VanDyke
Lighting gel color compatibility with CCD
on Aug 31, 2011 at 7:31:50 pm

I have Sony DXC D-30 cameras and have been having trouble with certain gel colors not working well with the cameras. certain colors represent inaccurate and bleed all over the place. It seems that deep blue and purple are especially tough. I think I am simply using colors outside of what the camera is capable of dealing with. What I don't know is, is there any chart graph, rule, or anything to help me make Gel selections based on fact, not intuition.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Lighting gel color compatibility with CCD
on Aug 31, 2011 at 8:06:46 pm

I don't think there's a TV camera invented yet that likes heavily-colored light. Unless these gels are really, REALLY faint, I wouldn't use 'em.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul VanDyke
on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:34:22 am

Thanks Dave, I've seen a chart showing which colors are usable and which are not. I think the cart was specifically for a DXC-D50. Anyhow, I don't know how to find anything like that. I'm looking for specific info thou

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 6, 2011 at 3:01:23 pm

I don't know if it will be easy to find what you seek: even if you have gel numbers, the type of light, its color temperature and its intensity will all affect the color falling on the subject.

That would be one beastly complicated chart.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]