FORUMS: list search recent posts

New FCC Requirements

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Obernesser
New FCC Requirements
on Aug 24, 2011 at 11:08:37 pm

Just a quick question. I am putting a local 1/2 hour show together for a client. I have done several in the past, but I was just informed today by the TV station that the show must be delivered by either a flash drive or external hard drive. Our area is just catching up with broadcasting HD from their stations, so I am now getting ready to transition myself to taping and editing in HD. My question is after I'm done editing the show and it's ready to be delivered, can I save the show to a high HCSD card from my mac? I have tried this before with an external adapter and it will not save video, just pic's. Do I need special equipment for it? Please keep in mind, right now I would be taping the show and saving it to a card.

Thanks;
Chuck

Return to posts index

James Hauge
Re: New FCC Requirements
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:15:40 pm

Well, I don't really use MAC's...

I'm not familure with the device called a High HCSD card... I know a SD memory card, if this is what you're talking about, or maybe a type of this kind of card,...

If that's the case, I believe you would need to render your video to the local hard drive, then go into apple's version of file explorer and copy the file from the local hard drive to the memory card. In a windows computer the memory card shows up as a seperate hard drive in the file explorer...

I know that I know very little when it comes to Mac's, but I hope I've helped... I would suggest making a small (maybe 1 minute) video to test with and then you can use that to figure out how to copy it where you need it to be.

Good luck!
--James

Return to posts index

James Hauge
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:19:03 pm

Oh, Forgot to mention, this is NOT a FCC requirement... this is just a way for the tv station to try to save some time and money by having media provided in an already digital format instead of them having to take the time to capture the tapes into their digital equipment themselves... I would suggest asking about ftp'ing the files to them if you know how to do that...

--James

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 25, 2011 at 6:39:47 pm

[James Hauge] ".. this is just a way for the tv station to try to save some time and money by having media provided in an already digital format instead of them having to take the time to capture the tapes into their digital equipment themselves... "

Yup. And you have to wonder if they've forgotten the term, "quality control". I'm not implying that the OP would intentionally mess up levels.

But you have to wonder if laziness on the part of the station is superseding its responsibility for signal quality.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Hauge
on Aug 25, 2011 at 6:57:58 pm

Heh, yes... I work for a non-profit tv station that broadcasts christian programming over sea's myself, and I try to have the people that send me programming send it to me via ftp.. I do this not out of being lazy, but because there's so much programming coming in and I am the only tech that works for the station. I need to run and maintain all of the equipment, run our play lists, and any tapes that do get sent to me I can to capture into a computer and then transfer it into our broadcast equipment...

If I had to capture all of our programming i would be busy about 23 hours a day doing all of that..

Well, that's just me.. I do work closly with the people that send me programming via ftp to make sure that they're sending me good programming...

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 26, 2011 at 2:24:10 am

come on Chuck - weren't you given some delivery specifications ?
Do they want an .mov file from FCP, a DNxHD file from AVID, or an MPEG Transport stream - maybe they want an MP4, or an h.264 file ?
What if you deliver them an Avid DNxHD file, or a native AVC Intra file, and they want an .mov ? There are zillions of file formats - they didn't just say "give us a file". There is some specification - well - what is it that they asked for ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
on Aug 26, 2011 at 12:49:32 pm

Bob,
You correct on that. They said either .mov or .avi. Sorry if I misspoke on that. My concern on it was more about how to give it to them. Do I use a SD type card, or a thumb drive, or is there a better way that other have used. What I was trying to also say was that I have tried to save out video to an SD type card and the card did not accept it so I was not sure if it was possible to save from the computer to the card. I have not had luck with that. Sorry for the confusion.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 26, 2011 at 4:10:31 pm

Apparently they don't care about the encryption used within these Quicktime or AVI media containers. In which case, I say go with the Highest quality possible for delivery: either a Quicktime movie in the PNG codec or a lossless AVI.

Put it on both a thumb drive and a portable hard drive, take both to the station, and let 'em pick their poison.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:35:47 am

[Chuck Obernesser] "I have tried to save out video to an SD type card and the card did not accept it"

If the card is FAT32 and your file is over 4gig (most probably) then then card will not accept it.

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 30, 2011 at 1:32:33 am

Chuck -
let me tell you the answer to your question.

1) go to the station.
2) ask them like this - "excuse me, but exactly how would you like me to deliver this show/commercial to you - would you like an .mov from Final Cut Pro - would you like a Firewire drive, a USB drive, a Flash drive - please tell me exactly how you would like me to deliver this to you, so it does not get rejected".

And you know what - THEY WILL TELL YOU. Are you afraid to ask them exactly what they want ?

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

John Grote, Jr.
on Nov 2, 2011 at 11:31:21 pm

Hey Guys,

The reason you are not getting a straight answer is they don't have a damn clue themselves. Welcome to the HD world.

J. Grote, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]