FORUMS: list search recent posts

60 Minutes / Dateline Style Press Release Graphics

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jensen
60 Minutes / Dateline Style Press Release Graphics
on Aug 5, 2011 at 1:43:10 pm

Hi guys,

I hope I'm posting in the right forum, but I was hoping that Dave could help me out. Is there a certian technique that news stations or news magazine shows use to show graphics of a document?

Usually they'll show a press release, summons or statement by a company as a digital image over a background, then they'll highlight or animate in the segment they are commenting on in the dialoge.

What is the best way to achieve this? Is there something in After Effects that I am missing, or is there another program all together used to achieve this effect?

I understand it's hard to describe what I'm talking about, but I figured you guys would get it. I will search for a link as an example.

Thanks, as always.

- Dave

Video Producer / Director
North Carolina Justice Academy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 60 Minutes / Dateline Style Press Release Graphics
on Aug 5, 2011 at 3:38:06 pm

[David Jensen] "Is there something in After Effects that I am missing, or is there another program all together used to achieve this effect? "

It would help to ask After Effects questions in the After Effects forum, you know...

• Scan the document in question. Do a little previsualization to determine how close you want to get on the text, then a little arithmetic to determine the dots per inch at which you need to scan it. Keep your AE comp's horizontal & vertical resolution in mind as you do so.
  • Add the scanned document to an AE comp.
  • Make a solid the same size as the scanned document. Put it on the layer ABOVE the document layer, parent it to the document layer, and temporarily turn off the solid's visibility.
  • Make a loose mask around the text in question. When done, set the mask mode to none and copy the mask.
  • Paste the mask onto the solid. Turn the mask mode to Subtract. Turn on the solid's visibility again. You now have a text-shaped hole in the solid.
  • Play with mask feathering and solid opacity to taste.
  • Animate the document layer -- scale, position, rotation, etc. as desired. The solid follows right along because you parented it to the document layer.
  • Animate the solid's opacity from zero to the value you determined earlier.
That's the straightforward, 2-D way to do it. Want other ways? Ask in the AE forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Jensen
Re: 60 Minutes / Dateline Style Press Release Graphics
on Aug 6, 2011 at 12:19:35 am

Awesome.. thanks so much, Dave.

Video Producer / Director
North Carolina Justice Academy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>