FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast Tips

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Webb
Broadcast Tips
on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:44:37 pm

Hello all.

I recently got a job as a finishing editor for a local Cooking Show in Sacramento, CA.

It's my responsibility to make sure the entire video is broadcast safe...this is very new to me.

I know every situation is different, but does anyone have advice or tips for me? Even some obvious DO'S and DON'TS would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Broadcast Tips
on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:56:17 pm

Got a Vectorscope and Waveform Monitor?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Jul 19, 2011 at 8:23:31 pm

Assuming the answer to Dave's question is "yes," Tektronix has a wealth of free information on video measurement.
Good start point is
http://www.tek.com/learning/video-test-tutorial/

Return to posts index

Ian Webb
on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:12:25 pm

No...the company I work for has not supplied me with one...I know how to use one...but I don't see one in my near future...except for FCP's...

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:51:36 am

To be honest, unless you have a thorough knowledge of what a broadcasting station is going to assess and have the test gear to inspect those things properly, you're paddling up sh*t creek...

If you turn up the brightness levels on FCP's scopes (or preferably Color's scopes as they're better IMO) you can make a fair stab at the levels on a shot by shot basis, then apply a broadcast safe filter to clip off what you can't see, you can get a long way along the path to TV safety. Have a good look at what's on Tektronix's site (it's actually very good) and check out a few others as well (Quantel also used to have some good info on it, but I haven't checked it for a while) - you need to know about black & white levels, saturation, gamut, blanking and PSE.

[Einstein was a clever man, but he never had his work fail a technical review by a pedantic broadcast engineer.]

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Jul 29, 2011 at 6:43:06 am

Don't trust FCP waveforms that much. They have the tendency to show faint luma above 700mv which can get your tapes rejected by a picky QC department. If you are delivering masters to a TV network a hardware waveform and vector scopes are a must.

Alos, ask over and over again for the networks spec sheet. They all have one that exactly specifies not only the luma and chroma levels for the NTSC broadcast standards but also what other specific elements they what on a tape master such as length of bars, black, bars slate, 2-pop, etc, etc and the timecodes they should hit on the tape.

Hope this helps,

Stuart Ferreyra
Professional Colorist, Finisher, Online Editor.
http://www.timecodemultimedia.com

TIMECODE MULTIMEDIA
- Professional, Affordable Post Production for Indies.
- ProTools 9 Sound Design, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.
- Color Grading, Finishing and Mastering for TV and Film.
- DaVinci Resolve, Apple Color / SD, HD, SR, RED, ALEXA, DSLR.
- SD, HD, SR Deck Rentals + Edit and Finishing Suites Rentals.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]