FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Video Requirements for Broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie Needham
Music Video Requirements for Broadcast
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:07:31 pm

Hi all,

First of all, I am new to CreativeCOW and may I add, what a fantastic resource it is! I'm an independant video producer based in Northampton, UK and predominantly produce video for the web. I have been approached by a band to produce a music video for their single which they would like to be shown on SKY TV (i.e. Scuzz, Kerrang etc) however I need to clear a couple of things up.

I shoot on a Sony PMW-EX1r, straight to SxS cards @ 35mbps and edit with Adobe Premiere Pro. I understand that SKY HD only accepts HD @ 4:2:2 uncompressed/50mbps. Is this the case for music videos too? I don't believe it is as I know of videos shot on Canon 5d that have made it to broadcast on SKY. I'm hoping the answer is no, as I'd like to use my EX1r for it!

The second query is what specifications does the export have to meet to be printed to HDCAM tape? I've been searching high & low on the web, but have failed to find the information yet. I also understand that a countdown broadcast clock is required, I would not do this myself - I would approach a post production house.

So in conclusion, I'm basically asking if my EX1r is acceptable for music video transmission on Sky, and what specifications the finished 'file' would have to meet to be printed to HDCAM tape at a post house.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Ollie

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Music Video Requirements for Broadcast
on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:29:21 pm

I haven't heard of any difference in tech spec for music videos compared to any other programming. (On the other hand, I'd expect a certain amount of flexibility - as you say, things are being broadcast that appear to have been originated in loads of different ways).

If I were you I'd contact a couple of post houses and talk to them about what file specs they'd want for playing to HDCAM. Also, you need to have a Harding test for PSE flashing done (a high end post house will do that for you) otherwise you risk having your material rejected or mucked about with.

[For a brief period I used to package the videos for CD:UK and it was shocking how frequently videos, often from high profile bands, didn't pass the Harding test and therefore couldn't be broadcast without being modified because of the Ofcom rules.]

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:08:42 am

BTW, there's a way of recording higher bit rates from an EX1r and that is to use a Convergent Design nanoFlash. I saw a test of that (using an EX3) a couple of months ago, it does 50, 100 or 160 Mbps at 4:2:2, making noticeably better quality recordings than the standard cards.

Return to posts index

Ollie Needham
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:52:18 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for your replies. I have been looking at the Nanoflash, however cannot justify buying one at the moment! I've found a post production house local to me who can print to tape (HDCAM) and can also perform the test.

Having spoken to another production company, they have produced music videos with a Sony EX1 & a 35mm adapter - so I'd of thought the EX1r would be fine.

Thanks once again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]