FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delaying Live Broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Derren
Delaying Live Broadcast
on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:51:09 am

Hello all,

Apologies if I've missed a post that covers this, do point me towards it if I have. I've had a look through the forum (very helpful by the way) but haven't yet found a solution.

What I need to do is delay a live video signal by about 10 minutes. It sounds simple.. but I can't work out what kit I need to do it, and it's one of those things that is difficult to Google successfully.

The reason for doing this is not to cut out profanities or similar, it's just because the playout time for the live event being filmed is different in two different parts of the building in which it's being relayed.

In some posts I've seen the suggestion that a TIVO or similar could be used, but I don't think this would work for us as the signal is SDI, and on some future jobs will he HDSDI. Depending on the job it could be either 50i or 25p. The feed will have embedded audio.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions any of you may have! I'm hoping that it's a really obvious one-box type solution, but maybe I'm being optimistic.

Thanks in advance!

P.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
Re: Delaying Live Broadcast
on Jun 3, 2011 at 3:13:43 pm

Couple of suggestions, they’re not going to be cheap though. You are going to probably need to look at a video server type solution. I’m thinking you might be able to use 360 Systems or Buf Tech System. The 360 systems are low profile rack mountable broadcast servers, and the Buf Tech (Buf Tek) systems are used mainly for sports replays. I spoke to both at NAB and really like their products.

Chuck Pullen

Return to posts index

Peter Derren
on Jun 3, 2011 at 3:17:48 pm

Thanks Chuck.

I shall look into both of those units - the problem I've found with similar things I've looked at is that they often have a maximum amount of time that they will continue running for - in our case the events can be a couple of hours. Look interesting though.

The next problem is finding somewhere to hire that kit!

Any more ideas welcome.

P.

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Jun 4, 2011 at 6:25:12 am

I read somewhere that the new FCP X will allow editing of captured footage while it is still capturing the same file.
What I understand this to mean in your application is that you can start capturing, and 10 mins later put the 'clip' on the timeline and start playing back.
Of course this requires a I/O device like Blackmagic or Aja and a raid drive which 3 x 2tb internal to a Mac Pro could provide.
So why am I suggesting this?
Well that 'Mac Pro Box' can be used as an editing system when not doing your 'live delay' - or - you could hire the system off anyone who has it as it is a fairly standard setup.

Remember, a hammer can also hammer screws in, not just nails!

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Jun 5, 2011 at 1:20:01 pm

I agree with Chuck, you should look at a DDR as the possible solution.

Some rental companies are using the Grass Valley T2 DDR to replace aging Betacam decks.

Europe rental:
http://www.satis-fy.com/en/inventory/satisfy_invests_in_new_grass_valley_t2...

U.S.
http://www.verrents.com/products/t2-iddr.htm

[Peter Derren] "they often have a maximum amount of time that they will continue running for - in our case the events can be a couple of hours."

I've made continuous recordings up to 15 hours on a DDR without any issues. Recording time is dependent on the drive space available and the resolution settings of the recording.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]