FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera for broadcasting

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karl Walker
Camera for broadcasting
on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:59:32 am

Hi! I'm Karl and I am new here.

We have a church and we are planning to record and broadcast on satellite tv some of our worship services.

Could you please recommend a camera for me? We have a budget of about $1500 for a start.

Someone recommended the Panasonic TM700 or so.....any advice?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Camera for broadcasting
on Apr 24, 2011 at 9:18:06 am

eeer, dude...
I don't get it.

What is the price for a sattelite uplink at your location?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Karl Walker
on Apr 24, 2011 at 1:01:05 pm

I will be sending the finished product to a church in South Africa and it will be broadcast on sat TV (intelsat 7/10) through them. There is a package for budget broadcasting.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 24, 2011 at 5:13:49 pm

For that price i their are various low end prosumer cams from panasonic and sony. check at bhphoto.com, Or go to ebay and buy a higher end used cam.

Will you be sending a recording via mail or streaming or sending a live feed?

rcm

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Apr 25, 2011 at 10:29:47 am

well, my point was, for 1500 bucks you have money to record just the sound...

iow, make a list of all the equipment you need, and don't forget cabling.

You need a camera, tripod, mics, something to get the material inside your computer for post, some storage, means of transportation to the broadcaster...

And i take it the operators are volunteers?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 26, 2011 at 10:07:56 am

Buy your self any camcorder with FW, plug it to a lap-top and you are done.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Karl Walker
on Apr 26, 2011 at 10:31:25 am

What is FW?
I am currently using a small camcorder to rec d video and my laptop to rec d audio on audacity thru line out from d mixer. I use sony Vegas pro 10 to mix it and make dvds

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 26, 2011 at 2:01:20 pm

FW = FireWire = EIA1394 = iLink(Sony)

What does your current video product look like? Sound like? What are the major deficiencies? Maybe lighting or microphone or even set dressing are more "low-hanging fruit" than replacing the camera.

You have asked our opinion about a specific camera, but you have given us no context in which to evaluate it. What do the people at the uplink say about your video? I suspect that people here are reluctant to answer your question because from our perspective you are asking it in a vacuum. You haven't even identified your current camera or what kind of video you are shooting? Are you doing "simple" interior talking-head? Or are you producing worship services? Or are you making on-location documentaries? Where are you?

Return to posts index

Karl Walker
on Apr 26, 2011 at 2:36:26 pm

Hi,
Sorry, I'm new to this and still trying to work out things.

I am using a small Panasonic SDR-H40 camcorder right now to make simple videos of the preaching in the church.

I am recording the sound through the audio line out on my mixer to my laptop using audacity. I then convert the sound to MP3 and mix it with the video using Sony Vegas.

This is one of the videos I recently made -

I am planning to start sending dvds for broadcast by the end of this year and I would like some advice as to what to pick up.

The uplink guys want me to use at least a 3ccd camera......the one I am using is not, hence I need to pick up another one.

The camera I am using is a very small one and it records in mov. format. I mix it on Sony Vegas and render it as avi. format PAL DV widescreen (don't know if that is correct or not).

I will not be producing documentaries, but simple recordings of the preachings.

I am located in Mauritius.

Hope this helps a bit...:-)

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 27, 2011 at 1:32:56 am

Have you tried your camera outdoors? What kind of video do you get on a bright overcast day? What does the picture look like when you keep the zoom at a conservative setting (i.e. not all the way out at 42x) Many lower-cost cameras produce remarkably nice pictures when what they are shooting is well-lit. The video I saw had bright white backgrounds which will make even the most expensive camera produce muddy images because cameras (and humans, for that matter) don't tolerate bright back-lighting interfering with the primary subject.

I assume that the distortion I heard in the audio is from the YouTube compression? Does your original audio sound OK?

I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that you need a new camera when you appear to have lighting issues to remedy first.

Return to posts index

Karl Walker
on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:23:25 am

Hi Richard,

Yes, I tried the cam outdoors and the image is very clear.
The audio on my side is quite clear, so I guess it is a thing with Youtube when I uploaded it.

I will try with a darker background and see how it comes out.

Thanks a ton....I appreciate all the advice..
Karl

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:22:34 pm

[Karl Walker] "What is FW?"
the advantage of the FW (iLink) conexion is that you can plug it directly to most computers.
One camera (with audio IN) and one cable is all that you need.
You can feed your Audio Mixer to the camera, plug the camera (FireWire) to a lap-top and you have your station.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on May 11, 2011 at 12:15:33 am

take yer pic, man. You don't need the latest or greatest. It's just church. Hit ebay and grab a handful of goodies.

Return to posts index

Karl Walker
on May 11, 2011 at 3:30:03 am

For a start I picked up the Panasonic HDC-TM700.....since we are just starting out with video in the church I guess this is manageable. But further down the road, I believe we should be able to pick up some real professional stuff - that is after sending the crew for some good training and workshops.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]