FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adtec Duet encoding presets?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Hallman
Adtec Duet encoding presets?
on Apr 19, 2011 at 3:30:53 pm

I'm a small commercial producer in a small town, and most of my stuff gets sent over an equally small local cable network. As such, I end up working pretty closely with the production person in their office.

After years of having them get spots on DVD, run the DVD to a Beta cassette (yes, really), then run that cassette into an Adtec encoder, I convinced them that it's possible to make MPEG-2 files that'll play just fine over their bank of Adtec Duet inserters, and that the image quality would be leaps-and-bounds better.

So they gave it a try. And it worked. Mostly.

Sometimes, the spots play just fine. Sometimes, the audio drops out after a second or so. We've been racking our brains, using our best Google-fu and discovering that Adtec REALLY wants you to use their encoder.

They've got a mixture of very old Duets, the kind that require upper field first, and (slightly) newer ones. Doesn't seem to be making a difference in the result.

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it eventually, but I figured that I'd ask the question here - does anyone have a sure-fire, works every time Adobe Media Encoder preset for the Adtec Duet series?

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: Adtec Duet encoding presets?
on Apr 19, 2011 at 5:26:30 pm

[Jake Hallman] "So they gave it a try. And it worked. Mostly."

It sounds like you're close. Try dialing the data rate back a wee bit and see if that eliminates the audio drop outs.

Return to posts index

Jake Hallman
on Apr 19, 2011 at 5:35:20 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

Audio data rate or video data rate? Or does it matter?

We had a thought that some of the spots were encoded at 29.97fps instead of 30fps (the manual says 30, never mentions 29.97).

Another problem has cropped up, and I don't think it's an encoding issue - when one spot plays back, it's got random chunks of an older spot for the same client that play after the new spot ends.

The folks up at the office are a bit concerned, since this is happening to spots that are actually airing.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:45:54 pm

Total data rate. Some media players have a max data rate around 15 Mb/s.

The other issues your having are quite bizarre, personally I would go back to the original encoding work flow until you get the bugs sorted out. Angry clients are not fun.

Also, you might try the Telestream Episode forum here to see if Craig or any of the other regulars have any pearls of wisdom.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]