FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD, HD, Title Safe and Center Cut Question

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Murphy
SD, HD, Title Safe and Center Cut Question
on Apr 11, 2011 at 2:56:09 am

Hello All,

Quick question. Normally, we shoot and edit in HD for all of our broadcast work. Most of the stations that we provide masters to take HD, so all is good there. For the ones that require SD, we typically provide a letterbox version of our HD spot. Now, recently, we have had a bunch of spots with titles and lower thirds. Obviously, we should make sure that the copy is within the HD title-safe. However, should I be making sure that the copy is within the SD title-safe within the HD timeline?

I want to try and prevent any of the copy being cut off on the screen and I don't always trust my stations to do thorough QC.

Return to posts index

Erik Freid
Re: SD, HD, Title Safe and Center Cut Question
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:17:35 pm

Yes,

Protect for center cut title safe SD, very few broadcasters will show letterboxed SD content.

It does constrain the creative use of the canvas, and looks a little silly in HD. Look at any of the network morning shows like Today/GMA , or sports, they have a huge bar graphic going to the edge of HD 16:9 with the text way in the center in 4:3 safe.

But it will save lots of headaches from stations QA department kicking stuff back, or worse them getting calls from viewers "why are the titles cut off".

Erik Freid | MediaSilo, Inc
207 South Street | Third Floor | Boston, MA 02111
t. 617.423.6200, m. 617.306.8632, f. 617.507.8577
http://www.mediaSilo.com erik@mediasilo.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: SD, HD, Title Safe and Center Cut Question
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:29:07 pm

If you WANT to maintain 16x9 in both HD & SD, you have to make an SD letterboxed version and an HD version. The danger with that: most stations run only one server for spots... which version do they use?

I, for one, think it's far better to eliminate the confusion and make SD only or HD-only, keeping graphics in 4x3 title safe.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]