FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync two cameras

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Sepulveda
Sync two cameras
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:44:03 pm

Hi, hope someone can help me. Iā€™m producing a TV show for South America, I am not a very experienced producer in the technical stuff. I bought two Sony PMW-EX1R, which I use to record interviews for the show. I am having a lot of trouble trying to get the same colors and exposure on both cameras. I balance whites with the same target, and set the cameras both with the same settings, but the image is still very different. Is there any way (maybe with a cable) that I can sync the cameras to obtain near the same image? And maybe it possible start recording at the same time so editing is easier?

Thank you and sorry for my ignorance

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: Sync two cameras
on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:45:39 pm

hi there

your camera's can not be synchronized frame accurate perfectly .
this because of the lack of a Genlock input.
in your scenario the best way to syncronize in the editing process
is with the use off the good old clapperboard.
create a silence on the set and clap it.
while editing find the clap in the audiowaveform and synchronize your tracks.

or find a timecode generator record it on both camera's on a spare audio track ??? and use videotoolshed FCPauxTCreader

whitebalance should be performed on the same target but also on the same time. especially in a outdoor situation !!!
all color difference should be minimum.
difference still can be there due to flare.

grt
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 2, 2011 at 2:54:56 pm

check avtake.com

vidblaster.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:31:04 pm

Those cameras have options that can change the look of the footage (e.g., "Cine Gamma curves"), so go through the menus very carefully to make sure that they're both set up the same. Then put the cameras side by side and frame the same shot on both cameras (focus, white balance, etc, the same), in the same conditions that you usually shoot your interviews and compare the shots. If they're significantly different you probably have a technical problem with one of them and you need to get it/them serviced. If they're the same, check out the lighting - if you're using them as one camera on an presenter and one on an interviewee (or something similar), it might be that a slight variation in the level and/or colour temperature of the lights that are illuminating your subjects could be making a difference to the way the pictures look even if the variation is very slight (or even not noticeable) to the human eye. Are you balancing on the target in one position and then reframing, or are you placing the target where the subject of each camera is going to be and balancing that camera at that position?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]